Sunday, January 29, 2012

Update on the National Wildlife Federation - Scotts Partnership That Isn't


I'll make this brief, quoting a joint statement released by the National Wildlife Federation and Scotts Miracle-Gro today (January 29, 2012):

"The National Wildlife Federation has worked together with ScottsMiracle-Gro over the past two years on programs to educate gardeners about global warming, connect children to the outdoors and help restore habitat following the Gulf oil disaster. Both parties recently announced plans for an even broader partnership that was based on our common interests.

Since that time, Scotts announced a pending legal settlement related to events in 2008 that predate our partnership, which has made it clear that the partnership is not viable. Therefore, NWF and Scotts will work together to end the partnership in a friendly and mutually beneficial way."


In case you aren't familiar with the "pending legal settlement," it was announced on Friday that Scotts was charged with selling bird seed tainted with chemicals intended to keep insects from eating it, while knowing that it was toxic for birds, fish and other wildlife. They are charged with doing so for more than two years. More on that here:

Scotts to pay $4.5 million in fines - Columbus Dispatch, January 27, 2012



7 comments:

Terra said...

Yikes, what is the brand of birdseed? I am a member of National Wildlife Federation and did not know about this, so thanks for pointing it out.

Kylee Baumle said...

Terra ~ The birdseed was sold from November 2005 to March 2008, so it's no longer sold. I haven't heard what name was on the bird seed.

Corner Gardener Sue said...

I read the article. I can't believe the National Wildlife Federation would want anything to do with a company that sells chemicals that are not good for the environment, let alone tainted birdseed!

I am disappointed that the comments on that article got so political. I am so tired of people on either side caring more about their party and being right than working together for the common good.

Julie Kroske said...

Thank for sharing. I too thought it sounded like a strange Partnership.

Robin Horton/Urbwn Gardens said...

Hmm, who will they partner with now, Monsanto?

Anonymous said...

Good GRIEF! Well, I'm glad to hear the deal is OFF, but how terrible about the chemically treated birdseed. It's unreal to me that NWF was even considering partnering up with Scott's!!! I hope they learned their lesson and will stick with protecting wildlife and lands instead of selling out to big businesses that contradict what NWF is supposed to be all about.

Kylee Baumle said...

Sue ~ You said it in your second paragraph. I agree.

Julie ~ Most people did!

Robin ~ I sure hope not!!

Aimee ~ I got an email today from the NWF because I'd posted about this earlier and we had a nice exchange. I do think they were taken by surprise by the passion of their supporters against this partnership. I think more than a few have learned some things through all this.

blogger templates | Make Money Online