Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Frost, Indeed


As promised, we got the freeze. Around 6:30 a.m., it hit the low point of 26° and I was doubly glad we'd gone to the trouble of covering things. As I talked to people throughout the day, I heard mention of how driving through the neighborhoods early in the morning on the way to work was like driving around at Halloween - ghostly sheets everywhere.



I had actually forgotten to cover the lilac, but it came through unscathed. I didn't cover the Tulip Poplar (Liriodendron tulipifera), because I didn't think I needed to, but the tender new leaves showed the worst damage in our entire yard and gardens. That's okay though. It will bounce right back and make more leaves.




The daffodils and tulips were fine, as expected.



Hopefully, this is the last we'll see of below freezing temperatures, although our average last frost date is still three weeks away. It seems late for an average, but I'll assume those weather people know what they're talking about. This time.

5 comments:

A wildlife gardener said...

I'm so glad your tulip tree survived. It will be wonderful when it matures in your garden :)

Cindy Garber Iverson said...

Glad to see that your forethought paid off. It's always so nice when things work out like that, isn't it?

Cindy at Rosehaven Cottage

Unknown said...

I love those flowers, are they narcissus (whatever?)? We always had them in our yard when I was a kid and they bring back childhood memories. Wish I could find them. :)

Anonymous said...

Ooh, 26 IS cold. I'm glad your lilac survived without harm. We get that ghostly look here in Austin when temps drop to 32 because most of grow a few tropicals.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

It is a good thing you covered all you wanted to save Kylee. These late frosts always cause such disappointments. I hope it is your last Halloween for the season.

blogger templates | Make Money Online