Sunday, April 6, 2008

Petite Perfection



"Blossom by blossom, the spring begins."
~ Algernon Swinburne

Just yesterday, the Iris reticulata 'Harmony' opened. It seemed as if they popped up out of the ground overnight and then all of a sudden, there were blooms. Amazing what a little warmth, spring rains and longer daylight will do. Even more amazing is what results from the little bulbs planted in the fall, once spring comes.


The deep, rich colors that are in this particular iris no doubt inspired its name. Harmonious, indeed! And just look at the detail in the pattern displayed on its petals. The photo above gives us an insect's eye view of what lies deep within. That yellow streak on its fall? It's a runway of sorts that leads the bees and other pollinators into the vital anther, which has the pollen.


Native to Iran, Iraq, Turkey and Georgia, the flowers on these little guys are just six inches tall when they're fully grown. Here in zone 5b, they bloom the first of April and disappear by May. They're always a blue or purple color, although 'Natascha' is so pale it appears to be white. If you want yellow ones, try Iris danfordiae.


Join Green Thumb Sunday

24 comments:

Danielles Garden said...

how perfectly symmetrical. cool shot shot from above.

Unknown said...

Petite perfection indeed, Kylee! The foliage of our Iris reticulata and danfordiae are showing now, as we're having an actual springlike day today. Hope springs eternal....

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Don't these little beauties just make your heart sing. They are just gorgeous.

Unknown said...

Wow... between your pictures and the ones that Craig has been showing over at Ellis Hollow, I'm REALLY kicking myself for passing these by last fall!

Aiyana said...

Just gorgeous. Thanks for the info. I don't grow iris' so this is a treat to see--especially blue. Happy GTS,

Aiyana

archivesinfo said...

lovely color!

Muum said...

These are beautiful. Mine won't bloom for quite a while!

Robin's Nesting Place said...

I have some blooming too! I'll post my pics later!

I'm so glad to see your spring blooms, Kylee. Yea! Spring is finally here, at least it was today! Absolutely gorgeous day!

verobirdie said...

Perfection indeed! I like the depth of this blue, and the overall shape of the bloom.

beckie said...

Blooms, we knew they woulld make our day when we finally saw some!

Rose said...

Beautiful blooms. I have something similar, though I don't know if they are the same variety, but they have yet to bloom. I'm going to have to add these to my fall planting list (which is growing and growing).

growingagardenindavis said...

They're beautiful! I used to have some years ago...Guess I should think about getting some again!

Anonymous said...

That has to be one of the prettiest flowers I've ever seen! Never seen anything remotely like it. Blue and yellow: can't get any better than that.
Brenda

Aunt Debbi/kurts mom said...

Absolutely beautiful.

Karen said...

Beautiful blooms!

Connie said...

Those are gorgeous....isn't it great to see color in the garden again?

TYRA Hallsénius Lindhe said...

Yes they are perfect! Talking about perfection I love the last photo it's brillant.

Jessica said...

Beautiful!! The color contrasts are just lovely:) Ah, spring:)

Cindy Garber Iverson said...

Oh my! Those are absolutely breathtaking!!!! I am a BIG fan of iris and haven't seen these before. Thank you so much for sharing them. They are so beautiful they look like works of art.

Cindy at Rosehaven Cottage

Iowa Gardening Woman said...

Great pictures of the pretty little iris.

Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

They look very dainty but are tough as old boots those gorgeous Irises. Glad yours came out to say hello. Does that mean it's spring in your garden too Kylee?

Cheryl said...

I planted Natascha and was totally disappointed. I wish I had planted the same as you, they are absolutely beautiful. Wonderful photography.

chey said...

Beautiful iris! I love the intense coloration of the blooms. Great shots!

Kylee Baumle said...

Wow, thank you ALL for such great comments! They're still in bloom and still aweing (is that a word?) us with their intricate beauty.

Kim, Rose, Cheryl, and Leslie ~ BUY SOME!

The rest of you ~ BUY SOME, TOO!

And yes, Yolanda Elizabet, spring is definitely here! It's like it just burst on the scene all of a sudden. And I am HAPPY!! :-D

blogger templates | Make Money Online