Thursday, December 3, 2009

Procrastination Pays Off in Bulbs


Just polishing my crown here. As The Queen of Procrastination, I can tell you all the advantages to waiting to the last minute to do things while acknowledging that there are also disadvantages. However, I'm also a positive thinker, so I tend to dismiss the latter.

The latest triumph in my career of putting things off was delivered by The Man in Brown just a little while ago. Bulbs. Big and little bulbs, full of the promise of spring. Every fall I tell myself I'm not going to plant any more of them, then I think about how it feels in spring when these rays of light burst through the winter-weary landscape and make my spirits soar. That gets me every time.


This year, I was hanging out in Twitter when
Brent and Becky's Bulbs announced their 50% off sale and I beat a path to their cyber-door. What's great about Brent and Becky's is that you know you'll get the same great quality product at the end of the season that you do during the rest of the year.

Another plus is you'll find all kinds of goodies that aren't readily available just anywhere. I mean, how many places do you think I've seen a Narcissus called 'Romy?' For those of you who don't know, my husband's name is Roman and everyone calls him Romie, just as they did his grandfather, for whom he was named. You know I just HAD to buy that one.






I've got the perfect place to plant a drift of spring crocus, so I bought several different crocuses, including more of one I already have and love,
Crocus sieberi ssp. sublimis 'Tricolor.'

Crocus sieberi subsp. sublimis 'Tricolor' in the garden - 27 March 2009



'Advance' is aptly named, because it's one of the earliest to break ground and bloom. I really like the two-tone color combination of yellow and lavender on its petals.

I bought 50 of these, which might sound like a lot, but crocus are small and it takes a lot to make any kind of impact. I could have used about four times that many. Next year!





I gravitate towards stripes when I'm shopping for clothing and I guess I do the same thing when it comes to flowers. That's why I bought
Crocus 'King of the Striped.'












This spring, Romie and I went to our younger daughter's house to help her with some clean-up around the yard of the home that she and her husband had purchased the summer before.

I was thrilled when she told me I could take a few of the "really pretty pink flowers" that had come up in various locations at the back of her house. Upon looking them up, I identified them as Tulipa 'Little Beauty.' Though she gave me a few, I wanted more, and now I have them.

'Little Beauty' is a species-type tulip, originating in the mountains of central and western Asia. I like their petite and delicate form and they're reliably perennial. I bought a couple of other species tulips that I didn't already have.

















I bought some hybrid tulips, too.





And finally, a few bulbs of those little works of art called Iris reticulata. We've got 'Harmony' in a few locations and some native wild Iris cristata we found in Arkansas several years ago.

The new ones are called 'Spring Time' and look as though they'll be a little more blue than 'Harmony,' which is a definite purple. Brent and Becky's describes them as "bluebird-blue with white tipped violet falls, purple spots and yellow midrib."


So, you see, procrastination can be a good thing. When spring arrives in just over three months (yay!), there will be twice as many colorful new blooms than there would have been had I not waited until snow was in the forecast to order them.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.


___________
*With the exception of Crocus sieberi subsp. sublimis 'Tricolor,' all photos are courtesy of Brent & Becky's Bulbs, used with their permission.

22 comments:

Fern @ Life on the Balcony said...

I wish I could grow tulips here. But my fridge doesn't have room to force the bulbs for that long. China Time is beautiful. I love the bubble gum petals contrasted against the darker foliage.

Randy Emmitt said...

Kylee,
I purchased bulbs from Brent and Becky's about a month ago. I did get a discount on a few items. Having to wait nearly 3 weeks I went to the local garden center and she gave me 25% off on my bulbs, so I canceled half my order with Brent and Becky's just was tired of waiting to plant them.
It looks like you will have one beautiful spring at your place indeed! You are right crocus never can have enough of them.

Robin's Nesting Place said...

I hope you have some warmer weather to get the bulbs planted! I anticipate spring even more than before!

Kathleen said...

Looks like you picked some great bulbs Kylee. I think our ground is frozen here already so it wouldn't pay for me to procrastinate. Happy planting!

Muhammad khabbab said...

Ah i am delighted to see these cutie blooms of crocus. I wish i could grow tulips and crocus as easily. Great blooms. Only paperwhites are suitable here as far as narcissus is concerned. Great job!!!!

Janet, The Queen of Seaford said...

Looks like you got some great bargains. I would have purchased Romy if my husband's name was Roman too! Just have to!

Lisa at Greenbow said...

These will be marvelous surprises when they pop out of the ground next spring.

Muum said...

I love a deal! Sounds like you did well. I am trying to limit my 'deals' , so bought 1 pkg of purple crocuses at the local W-mart, $1 (orig $5), and planted them immediately. otherwise, stuff sits around and well. you know.

Helen/patientgardener said...

I quite often buy bulbs when they are reduced. Like you say if you buy from a good company then the quality will be good whenever you get the bulbs

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Becy I almost did the same thing with my mail order supplier here .. I did buy some locally .. well, OK .. a LOT locally and was supplemented by mail order .. I almost wavered with the sales that came via email .. stuck to my overload as it is phew ! .. congratulations though .. those are beauties .. but Spring will be more than 3 months for us sadly .. GROAN !!
Joy

Dave@TheHomeGarden said...

I've nearly completely neglected bulbs this year. Just too busy building the greenhouse - shed. Brent & Becky's bulbs will have to wait for next year unfortunately!

Anonymous said...

"Romy" and "The Little Beauty" -- sounds like a winning combination to me. ;-) They're all gorgeous; I can't wait to see them in the spring.

Anonymous said...

PS ... and I very much like your new wintry header and layout!

Mr. McGregor's Daughter said...

I wish procrastination always paid off like this, but it rarely does for me. You've picked some lovelies. I wish my 'Alba Coerulea Oculata' Tulips hadn't died out, they are just the prettiest little things. You will love them.

"Daffodil Planter" Charlotte Germane said...

Fun to see this and pretend that it's already springtime. That 'Advance' is especially cute. Hats off to Brent and Becky for great bulbs.

Anonymous said...

Did you actually get all these bulbs planted already? Should be a real show around your house come spring. I planted lots too, but back in October when it was much warmer. I love gardening, but I'm a real wimp when it comes to cold.

Garden Lily said...

Beautiful assortment! I bought some bulbs months ago, and finally planted them today, after breaking the frozen surface of the soil!

Unknown said...

Wow Kylee, what a great assortment of bulbs you have. I adore those red and white striped tulips. I think I got some of those king of the striped crocus at the 75% off sale at my hubby's store. I am already looking forward to spring and winter hasn't even arrived. Does that make me bad?

Rose said...

I'm afraid I procrastinated too long...Looks like you got some great deals--you're going to have a beautiful spring, Kylee!

Connie said...

'Romy' is a beauty! I have some bulbs that didn't make it into the ground, and the ground is currently frozen....but I am sure it will thaw long enough to pop them in sometime in the next few weeks. I hope? :-)

Sweet Home and Garden Carolina said...

And you know what the second line is to " That's my story and I'm sticking to it " is - my skin got so thin you could see right throught it !"

And I was chiding you for planting to early back in November?!

Seriously, I'm glad you got those beauties in the ground before it froze. Love the species tulips. They are true perennials.

Procrastination Free Living said...

That was so beautiful flowers ... that help me to relax my body and remove my stress... nice post.. good day!!!

blogger templates | Make Money Online