Tuesday, September 20, 2011

First Egg!


When things get stressful, I go to the garden. There's something calming about walking among the flowers and plants and trees and this afternoon, I needed that. Some health issues in our family are an immediate priority at the moment and while the rest of our lives needs to keep up, family comes first.

So I grabbed the camera and walked out back and started shooting. The colors of fall are some of my favorites - in the leaves and in the flowers that bloom this time of year.

Short's Goldenrod (Solidago shortii) - an endangered species thriving in my
garden

Endless Summer® Hydrangea macrophylla Twist-n-Shout™  has darkened
with the cooler temperatures
 
Sedums with aster and creeping jenny (Lysimachia nummularia)

Geranium 'Rozanne' reminds me of a floor lamp


Sunjoy® Gold Pillar Barberry (Berberis thunbergii) from Proven Winners
with unnamed dahlia


'Autumn Joy' Sedum (Sedum telephium)


Tradescantia 'Sweet Kate'

Japanese maple (Acer palmatum 'Emperor I') has its autumn color


After some time of shooting this and that, my batteries were waning so I headed back to the house for some new ones. I walked past the chicken run and as usual, the chickens came over to see if I had a treat for them. No, I didn't, but they sure had one for me!



An EGG!

I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Right there, in front of God and everyone, laid an egg on the ground. I thought it was too soon. They're about 16 weeks old. The age at which a chicken will lay an egg varies according to breed, and we didn't expect any of them to lay until at least the middle of next month. Buff Orpingtons will start laying at about five months of age and Silver Lace Wyandottes not until seven or eight months.

How about that. We have a precocious chicken in the bunch. We just don't know which one it is.




10 comments:

Kari Lønning said...

I'm sorry for the need to walk in the garden (I go out there too, or to the woods, as well) BUT, the photos are beautiful. The hydrangea is especially wonderful! and -
Congratulations on your first egg!

Lisa at Greenbow said...

How exciting to find your first egg. The poor little dear didn't even know to go to her nest. I bet that little jewel took your mind off your stresses.

CommonWeeder said...

It is hard to know when chickens will start laying. I hope this novice finds a safer place to lay those precious eggs.

Caroline said...

Congrats on the egg! You must be so proud. :)

Diana said...

How exciting for you and your sweet chicken-girl! I love hearing about everyone's chicken adventures. Made my day to think of it.

Serenity Cove said...

Brown eggs are just the best. I get them from my Amish neighbors but it would be nice to have my own.
I love the barberry and dahlia photo!

Mary Ellen said...

Congratulations on your first egg!

Amy Junod said...

What fun to happen on your little treasure like that!
Love the photos. Sorry that there is such stress in your life but you're blessed to be able to catch such beauty to calm the crisis.

Carolina said...

I love your garden, and congrats on the eggs, I've always wanted to have some chickens to have fresh eggs :)

Kelly said...

I remember our first egg. It was so incredibly exciting. It wound up being a terrible day that turned into a fabulous day! Check it out here: http://ourcountrychronicles.blogspot.com/2011/10/dixie-where-are-you.html

blogger templates | Make Money Online