Friday, September 23, 2011

Summer Gives Way to Autumn


“Autumn, the year's last, loveliest smile.”
~ William Cullen Bryant

Autumn arrived here at approximately 5:00 a.m. today and my first thought for the day was, "Where has the summer gone?" I ask this every year, although I never ask, "Where has the winter gone?" Since gardening comes pretty much to a standstill here in winter, it's not surprising that I enjoy summer so much more.

Summer's gone, but it's not winter yet! Thankfully, we have this glorious transition time called fall. I love it perhaps more than summer. The air is crisp and smells fresh, except when the fragrance of drying leaves takes over. The skies are at their bluest. The cooler temperatures and the soothing rains perk up the gardens and me.

We're only seeing slight changes in the colors of the leaves on the trees so far and I wonder how vibrant those colors will be this year. The summer's drought will likely have an effect on that. Usually in a hot and dry summer, the colors are more muted, but for now, the garden is holding its own in that department.

This toad lily (Tricyrtis 'Seiryu') was only planted last year at the base of
the ailing weeping willow. There's something it loves here, because a second
Tricyrtis has grown just as quickly.

Sedum 'Autumn Fire', contrasted with the silver foliage of Artemisia 'Silver
Mound'. Orange mint is to the lower left and elephant ear to the right.

Love this Osteospermum!

'Daisy Red' Chrysanthemum starts out yellow and orange, and matures to
a gorgeous shade of red!

Crimson fans (Mukdenia rossii) is beginning to change into its fall colors.
Lily looks on.

Rudbeckia provides sunshiny color in fall.

A lone daisy blooms late in the season near the wood pile.

Rain got caught on these columbine leaves.

I planted colchicums two years ago and this year, I noticed that each one has
become two.

It looks like it's going to be a bumper crop year for acorns!

These angel wing red begonias have been in constant bloom all summer in
these Flat Tire Decor containers.

Common, yes. But I welcome the brilliant colors of asters in fall.

The roses are starting their last show of summer. This one, 'Joseph's Coat'.

This is the time of year that causes me to close my eyes and commit to memory the fragrance of fall, the sounds of rustling leaves and chirping insects, and the feel of the sun on my skin, gently warming it. In the middle of winter, I once again close my eyes and try to bring the memory to mind, but no matter how hard I try, I've never been able to get my skin to remember the warm part. But it's still nice to sit in the sun and enjoy it while I can.

Sunset on the first day of autumn,  September 23, 2011


4 comments:

Shady Gardener said...

What beautiful photos, Kylee!! I know... it's mid-September (yikes!) already... and I've begun my Fall work. Do you think Winter will be early this year??

Lona said...

What a great Dahlia Kylee. I love the osteospermum! The colors are just so fantastic. Toad lilies are so cute. This is the first year I had grown them and I was surprised at all the blooms up the stems. The days are just going to fast Kylee. Summer went by way to fast.

Kylee Baumle said...

Shady Gardener ~ Thanks! Oh, I hope winter won't be early. It's not my favorite time of year, for sure. I want a looooooong fall!

Lona ~ Toad lilies are my favorite! My signature plant! Not all toad lilies have flowers all along the leaf axils. 'Miyazaki' does for sure, though. It's a fabulous sight when they're all in bloom, isn't it?

Unknown said...

Love the photo's of your gardens. I just whined to my husband that there'll be little to take pictures of soon! Except the grandchildren, of course!

blogger templates | Make Money Online