Sunday, November 24, 2013

SweeTango® Apple - Let Your Taste Buds Dance!


If the only apple I'd ever tasted was 'Red Delicious', I don't think I'd eat very many apples.  It tastes okay, but once I had a 'Granny Smith', I turned my back on 'Red Delicious'.  There were other apples that came later - 'Gala', 'Fuji', 'Idared', and many more.  Then along came Honeycrisp™ and it was game over.

I can pinch pennies with the best of 'em, but I like Honeycrisp™ so well that I'm willing to pay a higher price for them because they really are that much better, according to my taste buds.  I like JAZZ™ apples too, but Honeycrisp™ still wins out.

SweeTango® apples                                                                    Stemilt Growers / Wikimedia Commons


This week, I found a new (to me) apple in the produce section.  It was the name that caught my attention: SweeTango®.  I guessed that it would be sweet and tart - just the way I like my apples.  There was the matter of texture and juiciness too, but there was only one way to find out how it measured up.  I bought five of them.

sweetango.com
Today, I ate my first SweeTango® and it's all that a good eating apple should be.  Just the right combination of sweet with a hint of tart.  The flesh was firm and dense and crispy when I bit into it.  Not overly juicy, but juicy enough.  Finally - and this is big - the skin tasted good too.  So many apples have skins that have a slightly bitter taste but not this one.  As I said on Facebook, this apple may just give Honeycrisp™ a run for the money.

It's not surprising that SweeTango® rivals Honeycrisp™ because Honeycrisp™ is one of its parents.  Crossed with Zestar!™,  SweeTango® was hybridized at the University of Minnesota, the same program that brought us 'Haralson', 'Honeygold', and yes, Honeycrisp™.  It debuted in 2009.

 

It took them 10 years to get  SweeTango® just right.  It took me just a few seconds to confirm it.


__________________________
*This blog post contains a video.  If you are receiving Our Little Acre by email, the video may not appear.  Click here to go to the Our Little Acre website to view it.

3 comments:

RobinL said...

Thanks for the heads up, because I've been wondering about this one. I haven't looked at the grocery store yet, but the local farm market was posting about them in a way that led me to believe that they will give Honeycrisp a run for the money. Now to find them!

Anonymous said...

Honeycrisps are great! I don't mind spending a little more for them. Thanks for sharing about the SweeTango. I'll have to keep an eye out for them.

Kylee Baumle said...

RobinL ~ I saw them at our local Walmart, of all places. Since Honeycrisp is the mother of SweeTango, that's a pretty good indication that it will be another good apple! Hope you find them. Let me know what you think of them!

Susanne ~ I hope you're able to find some! Let me know how you like them if you do!

blogger templates | Make Money Online