Sunday, November 24, 2013

SweeTango® Apple - Let Your Taste Buds Dance!

If the only apple I'd ever tasted was 'Red Delicious', I don't think I'd eat very many apples.  It tastes okay, but once I had a 'Granny Smith', I turned my back on 'Red Delicious'.  There were other apples that came later - 'Gala', 'Fuji', 'Idared', and many more.  Then along came Honeycrisp™ and it was game over.

I can pinch pennies with the best of 'em, but I like Honeycrisp™ so well that I'm willing to pay a higher price for them because they really are that much better, according to my taste buds.  I like JAZZ™ apples too, but Honeycrisp™ still wins out.

SweeTango® apples                                                                    Stemilt Growers / Wikimedia Commons

This week, I found a new (to me) apple in the produce section.  It was the name that caught my attention: SweeTango®.  I guessed that it would be sweet and tart - just the way I like my apples.  There was the matter of texture and juiciness too, but there was only one way to find out how it measured up.  I bought five of them.
Today, I ate my first SweeTango® and it's all that a good eating apple should be.  Just the right combination of sweet with a hint of tart.  The flesh was firm and dense and crispy when I bit into it.  Not overly juicy, but juicy enough.  Finally - and this is big - the skin tasted good too.  So many apples have skins that have a slightly bitter taste but not this one.  As I said on Facebook, this apple may just give Honeycrisp™ a run for the money.

It's not surprising that SweeTango® rivals Honeycrisp™ because Honeycrisp™ is one of its parents.  Crossed with Zestar!™,  SweeTango® was hybridized at the University of Minnesota, the same program that brought us 'Haralson', 'Honeygold', and yes, Honeycrisp™.  It debuted in 2009.


It took them 10 years to get  SweeTango® just right.  It took me just a few seconds to confirm it.

*This blog post contains a video.  If you are receiving Our Little Acre by email, the video may not appear.  Click here to go to the Our Little Acre website to view it.


RobinL said...

Thanks for the heads up, because I've been wondering about this one. I haven't looked at the grocery store yet, but the local farm market was posting about them in a way that led me to believe that they will give Honeycrisp a run for the money. Now to find them!

Susanne Drazic said...

Honeycrisps are great! I don't mind spending a little more for them. Thanks for sharing about the SweeTango. I'll have to keep an eye out for them.

Kylee Baumle said...

RobinL ~ I saw them at our local Walmart, of all places. Since Honeycrisp is the mother of SweeTango, that's a pretty good indication that it will be another good apple! Hope you find them. Let me know what you think of them!

Susanne ~ I hope you're able to find some! Let me know how you like them if you do!

blogger templates | Make Money Online