Sunday, July 1, 2007

Zowie!



So this is the zinnia that got all the hype last year. My mom looked all spring and half the summer for 'Zowie' zinnia seeds and never did find any. When I ordered some seeds from Burpee's this spring, I noticed they offered 'Zowie.' I ordered a packet for me and one for my mom, and gave them to her the day we went to the Cincinnati Flower Show.


Poor Mom. She can't find them. And mine started blooming this week.


Each packet contained 15 seeds and every single one of mine germinated. I'll be saving the seed from this year's blooms, and I'll put some back for my mom so she can grow her 'Zowie' next year.


Honestly? I'm not sure why these are any more special than any other zinnias out there. I grew a nice one several years ago (pictured at right), when I wasn't a 'real' gardener and didn't have a clue what a cultivar even was. It was just a zinnia. 'Swizzle - Scarlet & Yellow' is similar, easier to find, and much cheaper. It could be that that is the one I had back then.

'Zowie' was a 2006 All-America Selection, and claims to be a non-stop bloomer until frost, with 3-5" blooms on 2-3' tall plants. Mine? Two inches across on ten-inch plants. But we're having a hot, dry summer.


Oh, and how do
you say zinnia? Zeen' ya? Or zinn' ya?


Join Green Thumb Sunday


16 comments:

Jared said...

Beautiful Flower Kylee!

Carol Michel said...

Zeen' ya, for me!

Bob said...

Zeen' ya...

So, would several be Zeen' y'all down here in the south???

Pretty, as usual, Kylee!

Muum said...

I heard good things about this zinnia,too. Keep us posted on how they do. gotta get me some of that!

Anonymous said...

Wowie - this zowie is fabulous the colours are just so vibrant. I'll certainly be looking out for this flower to brighten up the garden.
Sara from farmingfriends

Laurie and Chris said...

Great pictures. Sorry about your poor mom:( Have a great Sunday.

Anonymous said...

Uh-oh -- neither. I say "ZIN-ee-ya'!

Jean said...

I've never grown zinnia. It is very pretty!

Mark said...

Certainly socks a punch that zowie, this is starting to sound like a batman and robin sketch, keerpoww

Kylee Baumle said...

LOL @ Bob!

Beth, your pronunciation is actually the preferred, according to Merrian-Webster! And I have heard it pronounced that way. I should have included it in the choices.

Jean, I'm actually stunned that you've never grown a zinnia. I don't mean that in a critical way at all, I'm just very surprised. I would put growing zinnias in the same class as growing petunias, marigold, and cosmos. So get with it, girlie! Grow some zinnias next year! :-)

Mark, when I started writing this entry, I actually was going to start out with Zap! and all those Batman exclamations! I really was! It made me think of that, too. Telling my age.............

Kylee Baumle said...

Merriam-Webster...darn typos!

Unknown said...

whew...that's a relief--I pronounce them zin EE ah too. (of course, I spell it with a zed rather than a zee....tee hee.)

however we pronounce it...lovely colours, and perhaps it is the lack of rain that is keeping yours small and flowering rather early.

Stacey Renee said...

Mrs. Kylee,

My name is Stacey. I have been following your blog for sometime now. I sent you an email over a week ago, and I was probably sent to your bulk mail... Anyway, I just want to say that I thoroughly enjoy your pictures and writings! I was drawn in a month ago when I stumbled across the posts on Elvis. We lost a cat last month, and dealing with her death has been tough; Elvis helped!

I would like to engage your help, if I may. I am trying to add photos to my blog and am having trouble... What is your secret? You are welcome to visit my site and email me.

My husband Brandon and I just moved from Warsaw, IN, where he grew up and all his family lives. We currently live in my hometown of Williamsburg, KY.

Thank you!!

Stacey

Unknown said...

lol. I say "Zinn-ee-a" because "Zeen-ya" is a town name seen on road signs around Dayton when I went to school there. (Xenia... :)

Kylee, speaking of weird pronunciations, have you ever heard of anyone near you refer to green peppers as "mangos?" My grandmother calls them that (interchangeably with "green peppers") and I've heard a few people say that in the grocery stores, too. It eats at me... I SO want to know how that got started there!

Kylee Baumle said...

Kim, oh yes, I grew up calling green peppers "mangoes!" I never knew that mango was a fruit until well into my twenties.

I actually saw green peppers labeled as mangoes in a small grocery store recently and wished I'd had my camera with me.

I'll be doing a blog post shortly on this, so stay tuned! :-)

By the way, you might think it's just a northwest Ohio thing, but it's not. Honest!

Michelle said...

These zin-ee-ah's are just beautiful!! LOL!! I agree with Beth, zin-ee-ah's! But seriously, these colors are just amazing! I'll be looking for these! :)

blogger templates | Make Money Online