Thursday, December 20, 2007

Deck the Tree With Halls of Bolly . . . WHAT??


We've had various themed ornaments on our Christmas tree over the years. The tree has been elegant in its gold and silver glass balls and beaded garlands. Other years saw it bedecked with mostly Hallmark Keepsake ornaments with more of a traditional red and green color scheme. I usually asked the girls which tree they wanted each year - the fancy one or the traditional one? Guess which they liked the best?

Since they've moved out on their own, I've given many of the ornaments to them for their own trees. The last few years have seen our tree dotted with old-fashioned blown glass ornaments that I've collected from places I've visited or if I happened to find one that represented something I enjoy. You know, like gardening. Carol of May Dreams Gardens inspired this post, which shows some of my garden-related ornaments, as well as others.

Two years ago, Kara and Jenna gave me this Willow Tree "Angel of the Garden" ornament. They also got me the figurine, which I keep out all year round on my computer desk.

I really love the Willow Tree ornaments and figurines, especially the Nativity set. But we already have a Nativity set in Precious Moments that was given to me when the girls were very small.

The same year they gave me the Willow Tree garden angel, they also gave me another figurine, which was the angel holding a cat ("With Affection"). I've got one with an angel holding a book, too ("Angel of Wisdom"), which represents one of my other great loves - reading.


When one of the online stores had their Christmas ornaments marked down last year - before Christmas! - I bought this blown glass amaryllis -



There are fruits and vegetables...

This past July, I went on a
bus trip with my parents and we toured Firelands Winery in Sandusky. I managed to talk one of the sales associates into selling me an ornament of a bunch of grapes from one of their display windows. This spring, we're going to be planting some grape vines of our own.


Have you heard of The Legend of the Pickle? When we toured Swinney Homestead in Fort Wayne, Indiana many years ago, I learned about this and bought one of the glass pickle ornaments they had for sale in their gift shop. I've seen them in lots of places since.



In addition to these garden ornaments, there are several birds on our tree. A cardinal, of course, since it's our state bird and we see and hear them all the time...





And just as no garden is complete without a cat, my tree wouldn't be either, so there are several kitties hanging alongside the birds, such as this Hallmark one.





I'll be keeping my eyes open for other ornaments that may be marked down after Christmas. I can always use one or two (or three) more!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

EDIT: Less than 20 minutes after publishing this post, I just "happened" to come across these. A tad bit pricey for me, but fun to dream about. *sigh*

15 comments:

Carol Michel said...

I have the "Angel of the Garden" on my desk, too. In fact I have two of them, one bigger than the other. I just got the smaller one and hung it on my tree! Why didn't I think to do that?

I love that amaryllis ornament! And that link you provided? Oh, my, those are beautiful gardening-themed ornaments, but out of my price range, too. But those seed packets! Maybe I 'deserve' just one of those...

Merry Christmas!
Carol, May Dreams Gardens

Earth Girl said...

I love the blown glass ornaments. Check out the sales at the site you linked, because many of them are marked down considerable. Wonder what it means that I have no garden ornaments on my tree? My niece has given a "Pickle Party" for over ten years now and it's fun to see the strapping teenagers search for the pickle on her tree.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Kylee your ornaments are so pretty. That site has some great garden ornaments. I am absolutely craving one of the seed packet ornaments. They do seem a little pricey but aren't most things one craves just a little out of reach??
Tis the season. Ho Ho Ho

Lisa at Greenbow said...

P.S. Since you mentioned that one needs a cat in the garden I must get one of the cat ornaments off the christmas tree and hang it in here with the garden ornaments to complete (?) the garden theme. :)

Mr. McGregor's Daughter said...

The Amaryllis ornament is so pretty! My kids are still too young for me to have any glass ornaments on the tree. Someday...

Unknown said...

Interestingly, I don't have many garden-themed ornaments on our tree; a few pine cones made of ribbon or real ones decorated, a couple of beaded flowers, but mostly snowflakes, horses, bobbles and of course, penguins! I love your ornaments, they're wonderful...and if I didn't dislike the post-Christmas crowds so much, I'd go looking for some of these unique ornaments too!

Aiyana said...

Sure wish they had some cactus ornaments! The amaryllis ornament is gorgeous. I'm envious!
Aiyana

Randy said...

What a wonderful idea for a Christmas tree. I think I will start collecting ornaments for a garden tree. It makes perfect sense and what great way to continue your garden passion during the winter months.

Muum said...

Lovely ornaments! I esp. love the cardinal. I posted about my ornament from my g-grandmother, and tagged you for a 'hoopla' (not a meme, or so I am told)

Wicked Gardener said...

Yeah, I agree with everyone else. The amaryllis is pretty cool! Although, I agree with No Rain, a cactus might be cooler. Interestingly, I don't have any garden ornaments either and have never heard of the legend of the Pickle. But the rock I've been living under is quite cozy.

Bob said...

I always enjoy pictures of orns. and a tree. Glad you should the pickle. It's an orn. that I always bring to peoples home when invited over around this time a year. Happy Holiday to you and your family, Bob

kate smudges said...

You have a wonderful collection of ornaments ... I like the cardinal, the cat and the amaryllis the best! The Willow Tree ornament is beautiful too...

Happy Christmas to you and your family!!

Ewa said...

Dear Kylee,
That angel with shovel is amazing :)I dropped by also to wish you Happy Christmas!

Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

pout! It's not fair, why don't they sell ornaments like yours over here? I saw some fun ones in Carol's tree too. Love that cute kittycat and the amaryllis and the grapes and .... well, all of them actually. ;-)

Unknown said...

Kylee, I LOVE your amaryllis and cardinal ornaments! (The Willow Tree things always kind of creep me out for some reason... I think I'm the only one in the world who feels that way about them, though.)

I could get into so much trouble on that site you edited in. Can't you just see a tree covered in those white hibiscus ornaments instead of snowflakes? *sigh*

blogger templates | Make Money Online