Sunday, December 16, 2007

Snow Scenes


The sun has come out and the snow is over. We didn't get as much as we might have and that's okay. We started out with snow and wind, then freezing rain and wind, then more snow and wind, so that was enough for most people to slow down and enjoy the beauty that a storm like this brings.

This might just be The Big One for the winter, or it may be the first of several major snowstorms we could get. With us living within eight miles of where we each grew up, we've experienced just about every kind of winter possible for our latitude over the last 50+ years. We won't know how this one turns out until it goes out.

When the sun sets on Our Little Acre, this is one of the views from our front yard as you look southwest across the road and the field. I took this picture standing at our mailbox.



A little closer look shows the neighbor's grain bin and the trees glimmering as the sun shines through the crystal icy coating.



And really zooming in, the woods a mile away show off their icy branches, too.



A little closer to home, Luna tags along as we take a tour of the yard.


Detail of the Euonymus alata ...



Last night, I mentioned the big wind chimes sounding like church bells. Today, they're silenced by ice and snow.



Max's Garden wears its winter coat as Romie and Simba take off for a walk down by the creek that runs a little further behind our house. (Yes, this means that Simba is doing much better!)



Looking southwest from behind the pool house. I carried the pine tree in the center of the photo home from Maine in my suitcase in 1979.



It was really difficult to capture what we saw as we looked at the trees around the yard as the sun lit them up like Christmas trees. Depending on your viewing position, some of them even appeared to have little colored lights on them. They actually twinkled!






And even in the coldest and most blustery of days, gardening is never far from my mind ...







*Click on each photo for a larger view*


14 comments:

Muum said...

Lovely photos. makes me homesick. I always loved being able to look out to the horizon and seeing the woods.
Hard to believe you have more snow than we do here in Utah. We just got a 'skiff' as they call the storm that bypassed us and hit Salt Lake City harder. I guess our snow will come.

Connie said...

Wow, Kylee....those are some beautiful snow scenes! Thanks for posting them.

Barbara said...

Beautiful photos and the snow in these last few posts. Wow. Fairyland. U'm sure it can make life difficult though. Christmas day with snow outside like that is the stuff of fairytales.
Thanks for your lovely comments.

Naturegirl said...

Kylee you have captured the beauty of winter with these images! The silence is what I love..the earth sleeps under its white blanket!
Thank you for coming by and commenting on my mothers birthday post...I shall be stopping by frequently now that I am hybernating on the second floor because of my recent mishap. hugs hop along NG

Lisa at Greenbow said...

These photos brought to mind the christmas song that has the lyric "Oh the weather outside is frightful..." Frightful maybe but beautiful.

Shady Gardener said...

Thank you for getting photos of the glittering ice on the branches! Your photos are wonderful. :-)

Barbara said...

Great, wonderful, beautiful your winter scenes!! I love to see them. We've had a storm too the last two days but here without snow. In our mountains we have a lot of snow together with wonderful sunshine....
Enjoy the beauty of winter and thank you for sharing!

verobirdie said...

So beautiful, some kind of magic!
Thanks for sharing those views with us!

Robin's Nesting Place said...

You've describe far better than I could what the ice covered trees look like when the sun shines on them. They did indeed look like they had colored lights on them. It was beautiful.

kate said...

The views of the prairie from your house are beautiful. The picture of the wind chimes covered in icy snow is impressive. Luna is a brave cat!

Hope you are doing well!

Kylee Baumle said...

Muum ~ Oh, I'm sure you'll get your snow soon! I guess we're going to get a little more by the weekend.

Connie ~ Thanks! I wasn't going to go out and take these, and then I thought, "I'll wish I did."

Barbara ~ Oh yeah, I think we probably will have snow for Christmas and you're right, that's always nice.

Nature Girl ~ Er...I mean Hopalong. Hey, not the way you planned to spend the holidays and after, but you take care of yourself!

And I love the muted sounds of winter with the ground covered with snow, too. :-)

Lisa ~ It was frightful for ahile there!

Shady Gardener ~ Thanks! It truly has been a winter wonderland out there!

Barbara ~ That was when everything turned so magical - when the sun came out and lit everything up. :-)

vero ~ Thanks, Vero!

Robin ~ The neat thing is that this storm was so widespread that lots of people got to experience the beauty of it.

Kate ~ I figure I might as well enjoy the good things about winter, even though I can't wait until spring!

Six of our eight cats are outside cats, so they're used to the snow and cold. They have their winter coats and they're gorgeously thick. They all get put inside either the garage or the pool house each night though, and they're in when the weather is bad. And of course, they get to come in the house on a regular basis as long as they behave. ;-)

I'm doing okay - the same. No results yet, but I'm going to call the doctor's office tomorrow morning. I should know something by the end of the week, I think. Thanks for asking!

Ewa said...

What a beautiful winter over there. And the view from the window is awsome! It is better to have white than gray outside :(
greetings,

Cindy Garber Iverson said...

How exquisitely lovely! I am so taken with your little spot of the countryside. I long for that kind of space around me. You are very fortunate to have the circumstances you do... I'm sure you already know that. ;)

Cindy at Rosehaven Cottage

Unknown said...

Your pictures of the neighbor's field and of the far-away woods really hit me... made me a bit nostalgic for "back home," for sure. Thank you. :)

blogger templates | Make Money Online