Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Unspeakable Beauty


Last spring, I bought a tree peony (Paeonia suffruticosa) that was marked as being yellow with orange edging.  It was too young to have bloomed that year, so I brought it home, planted it, and waited in anticipation of this spring, when I imagined I'd see something that looks like 'Kinkaku'.

The three other tree peonies are finished blooming and their seed heads have been cut away. This fourth one was determined to keep me in suspense by holding off, maybe because it didn't want to share the spotlight with the others.

It broke into full bloom today and it doesn't look like 'Kinkaku'.  It's not even yellow.  I would describe it to you, but I really can't, so I'll show you...







No, it's not 'Kinkaku', but it is unbelievably beautiful.  Even the photos don't show the subtle shadings of color - yes, that hint of yellow that makes true pink turn into coral.  But that's not quite it either. No matter. I simply love it and it was worth the wait.

12 comments:

Mr. McGregor's Daughter said...

Sometimes you end up with something better than you thought you were getting. Your mystery Tree Peony is a real stunner. You could check here to see if you can find your plant. Otherwise, look at A&D Peonies, as they have a lot.

Gussie Gurl said...

You are right, so gorgeous, does look like a watercolor!

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Oh yes, a real beauty. It looks so delicate.

Garden Lily said...

So beautiful and delicate - what a wonderful surprise.

ChickDigtheDirt said...

ooooh ahhhhh!!! so beautiful- our peonies are looking fabulous as well. I wonder if we can all figure out what kind of peony this is.... challenge!

Nutty Gnome said...

Wow Kylee, that's a stunner!
I had a tree peonie in a pot outside my backdoor for 3 years whilst I was creating the right space for it in the Japanese garden. It bloomed every year without fail. I planted it last Autumn and what's happened? ...... lots of leaves and not a single flower!!! :(
Mind you, it wasn't as gorgeous as yours anyway!

Diana said...

It is beautiful. I love that pink with the yellow in the center. I can imagine how lovely it is with blooms all over it. Wish we could grow them here.

Noel Morata said...

aloha kylee,

you have beautiful peony blooms coming out today, i love the the color and your macro close ups are beautiful

thanks for sharing it today

Ilona said...

well that certainly looks like a nice surprise :)

Your photos are marvelous, so if they don't do justice, that must be a joy to behold!

garden girl said...

Very beautiful, Kylee!

Congratulations on your Mousie - couldn't happen to a nicer person!

Melanie J Watts said...

Such a lovely colour Kylee definitely worth the wait. Great photos too.

La Petite Gallery said...

I love the name of this blog. My first visit. I bought a lilac bush that was suppose to be a French red, after 4 years it bloomed and is the color lavender that I can did up for free all over Maine. It was "Plant's unlimited" and they did nothing about it.I will never trust a nursery now only buy if it is blooming. $40 bucks is a lot for a wild Lilac.

blogger templates | Make Money Online