Wednesday, September 19, 2007

I Got My AARP Letter Today


I'm now eligible to pay $12.50 to join AARP. I think I'll pass for now. It's not that I'm in denial about making it to the half-century mark. I know it and feel it all too well. But maybe I'll join later.

So what is fifty supposed to feel like anyway? If this is it, it's no big deal. I feel just like I did yesterday and the day before that. And I was only 49 then.


Two of my oldest girlfriends ... wait ... that didn't sound right. Two women that I've been friends with the longest of practically anyone ... geez, that sounds rather awkward, too. TWO FRIENDS took me out for supper tonight after work.


I hadn't seen Deb and Karla in way too long a time. When our kids were little, we used to go shopping together in Ft. Wayne on a regular basis. We were all members of Stitch 'n' Bitch, which is what we called our little group that got together once a month at one another's homes. We talked on the phone several times a week. But somewhere over the last few years, our lives got in the way or something, and we haven't seen nearly enough of each other.

We went to
Billy's in Zulu, Indiana. Billy's is known for their great Mexican food and while I'm not a huge fan of Mexican, I do like some of it. I don't eat it often enough for me to remember the difference between an enchilada and a burrito, so I always have to ask. It's the burrito that I like. But hold the refried beans. Ick.

We spent nearly three hours catching up. It felt good to connect again. They got me a cute card and a beautiful bracelet. We made plans to ride River Greenway on our bicycles in a couple of weeks. All but one of our kids is out of the house and on their own, so we have no excuse to not get our relationship back on track and tonight was a start.

So, back to this 50-year-old stuff. I used to think that sounded old. It still sounds old to me, sort of, but now that I'm the one that is fifty, my perspective on it has changed a bit. I think it's harder on my mom; she can't believe she's old enough to have a fifty-year-old child. I reminded her that she's younger than her 92-year-old mother.

That didn't help much.

16 comments:

Carol Michel said...

Happy Birthday! Sounds like a good time had by all. I was going to write something mean like "at your advanced age should you really procrastinate on something like joining AARP?" but I'm too nice to do that.

Alice said...

So pleased you had such a good birthday with your friends. Let's hope it doesn't take another 50 years to get together...lol.

I found turning 50 a bit of a mental barrier for about a day, but now that I'm 63, I can hardly remember 50...lol.

Stacey Renee said...

50 does NOT sound old to me. I am 34 and 9 months! I have many friends that are 50 or older... and they are in the prime of their lives.. They are beautiful examples of the expression "aging gracefully". Like you, they are beautiful, vibrant, active, love their hubby and kids.. and have good close friends... I believe that is the key to aging.. Keeping true to ones self. That is, I have always had a silly, quirky sense of humor... and I plan to keep that until I die. I don't want to become complacent and irritable and sad and depressed.. For me, life is good...

I think I'll blog about this!! You have inspired me! =]

kate said...

Hi Kylee,
Happy belated birthday ... I'm glad it doesn't feel any different being fifty, since I am soon to turn that grand age too. I like the sound of it, though I feel as if I'm still in my 20s.

It sounds as if you had a great day. There are few things better in life than spending time with treasured friends (I was about to say 'old', but thought nope!)

Aiyana said...

You just have to keep plugging along. Can't change it,might as well enjoy it--you'll be 51 in a year whether you have fun or not. Happy belated birthday,
Aiyana

Muum said...

I call them 'AARGH' - I am just glad that my DH has turned 50, also, because the teasing has been drastically cut down. I am not joining!!!
Happy Birthday!

Robin's Nesting Place said...

Kylee,happy birthday. I'm 45 and will be there before I know it. I've never really understood why woman are so secretive about their age. Aging is certainly better than the alternative.

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! My husband just turned 50 last month, and we had a party with the theme, "not over the hill, just starting up it!". That is the way we see it.

Unknown said...

Belated happy birthday, my blogging friend! I somehow missed your most recent posts--Sage, my feed-reader, didn't update your blog for some inscrutable reason. I hope it was a happy day--and many many more to come. (I'm not all that far behind you, just a couple of years. It's all relative, though--you don't look 50 and your soul is forever-young!

Unknown said...

Belated Happy Birthday, Kylee! I hope that you had a wonderful one, and that your next half century is as good as this one seems to have been. :)

Connie said...

Happy Birthday, Kylee!...a little late.
Haven't you heard that 50 is the new 30? I am now a mature 52, ummm...make that 32?

Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

Happy birthday Kylee, it looks like you had a wonderful birthday.

Stitch'nBitch, what a great name! ;-)

Age is relative: young people: those who are 20 years younger than you, old people: those that are 20 years older than you.

Ki said...

Happy birthday. You sure don't look fifty! Gardening must be a tonic for you.

Bob said...

Happy Belated Birthday, Kylee!!!

Are those people bothering you also? Welcome to the club.

Kylee Baumle said...

Thank you, One and All, for all the happy birthday wishes! I don't feel one day older than 35 or so, and maybe not even that old. Of course, don't ask me how I feel when I'm having a bad fibromyalgia day! LOL!

Seriously, when I was in high school, I said I'd never act my age. I think I've done very well at that. ;-)

Fifty has been very fun, thanks to wonderful loving family and friends and also the friends in my computer. I am so blessed!!

Anonymous said...

I'll hit the half-century mark on February 1, 2008. But unlike you, I wanted to join AARP since I found out a few months ago that you had to be "only" 50 to be a member. I've already mailed in a five-year membership fee.

blogger templates | Make Money Online