Saturday, March 1, 2008

I've Got Mail! You Want Some?


Last week, Elizabeth Licata - member of the infamous bunch over at GardenRant - posted about a book that sounded really interesting to me - Native Plants of the Northeast by Donald Leopold. Her review of it made me want to add it to my ever-growing list of books in my gardening library.

With this area being the last in Ohio to be cleared and settled due to The Great Black Swamp, it's rich in all kinds of native pla
nts in those areas that remain. Because the major occupation here is farming, the wooded areas are small and scattered, but they're largely untouched. We walk the woods here on a regular basis and we're always on the lookout for new natives we haven't seen before.

As I continued to read down through Elizabeth's post, to my delight she made a contest of things by offering her duplicate copy of the book to the first person who could identify three native plants that she described. I knew what two of them were right away, because we grow them here at Our Little Acre. I had to do some searching to figure out the third one. I made my guess and what do you know - I won the book!

I received it a couple of days ago and I want to express a huge "Thank you!" to Elizabeth for sharing this jewel! Be assured it will be well-read and used as we begin another year of exploring our native woodlands and river banks.

Because so many people have been so generous with me throughout the blogosphere, I want to pay it forward by giving away a book myself. I too have a duplicate copy of a gardening book and I'll send to one of my readers.


In Cultivating Delight: A Natural History of My Garden, author Diane Ackerman shares her observations of her garden in an engaging way. These essays will have you looking at your own garden in a new way and appreciating things about gardening that you may previously have taken for granted. The copy I have to share is the hardcover version of the above pictured paperback.

Now - how to qualify? Leave a comment on this post telling me which of my posts since I started blogging on January 1, 2007, is your favorite and why. I'll draw a winner on Monday, March 10th, using the random number chooser program.

Good luck!

18 comments:

Zeute said...

I'll go with the last one as my favorite. It was an excellent report and I fell in love with that first patio exhibit! (Even though I think the whole thing is bigger than my yard.)

It's not only gorgeous but it also looks as though it would be an excellent place to entertain.

Carol Michel said...

Hi Kylee, I like the post about all those hundreds of houseplants you are harboring inside. I don't know anyone else who has that many!

Carol, May Dreams Gardens

Anonymous said...

I will say that this post is my favorite, since this is the one giving away a free book that I don't already have!! :)

Anonymous said...

It's gotta be that one from February, 2007, about how you got those two idiots to wire your network for you.

EAL said...

I have this book, so I'm not in competition, but I have to read that houseplant post!

Cathy said...

Wow, pick a favorite? That's a bit hard for me as I've just discovered your blog recently and haven't had much time to browse, but some things I love already is we are in the same planting zone and I too have an acre! I discovered your blog searching for Ohio gardners and gardens. We recently had a new fence installed surrounding two sides of our acre, and I'm in search of ideas and plants to soften it, along with creating a few cozy spots in our rear yard along the way.

Linda said...

I've been reading your blog for awhile and have you added into my own blogroll. I love the Flock my world post with the beautiful photos of all the snow, especially the cat peeking in the window. I also love the passion flower photos. I'm such a photo fanatic myself, that those close up shots really appeal to me. I'd love to get some mail in my mailbox!

Aiyana said...

Hi Kylee,
You always have lovely photos. I can't remember any posts in particular, but it does seem like you had a short poem at one time that I really loved. I visit so many blogs, I can't remember for sure, but I do think it was yours.

"There's part of the sun in an apple, There's part of the moon in a rose;
There's part of the flaming Pleiades In every leaf that grows."

Aiyana

Randy said...

Kylee, I just started reading your blog on a regular basis so I don't feel I really qualify for the contest. I did want to say however, what a wonderful idea you and Elizabeth have come up with, this is a fantastic and fun way to share books. Good Job!
-Randy

Kylee Baumle said...

Randy, nonsense! How can you not qualify? If there's a post that you particularly enjoyed, then you qualify. :-)

Welcome to new readers and posting lurkers. ;-)

Elizabeth, my total plants that I currently have in the house just topped out at 181 overwintering ones as well as permanent residents. After last year, I said, "Never again!" HA!

Robin (Bumblebee) said...

Okay, I'm totally into beautiful photos, so I have to say it's the November 2007 post on your best flower children.

Now,I'm headed over to see how your training is coming along...rather than going to the gym.

Robin at Bumblebee

Cindy Garber Iverson said...

Congratulations on winning the book! That's so cool. It's a perfect fit for you too. It was meant to be.

I just wanted to say hi and tell you congrats!

Hugs,
Cindy at Rosehaven Cottage

Kimberly said...

Kylee,
Our favorite is the Feb. 27,2008 because that's how we feel here in Indiana too! You'd think one of the few perks of global warming would be less snow, not more! We have another 5-6" on the ground this morning. Kimberly has bags full of seeds ready to go in the ground and flower orders in everywhere! Thanks for keeping us entertained this winter.
Kimberly and Paul

Unknown said...

I've been a subscriber for about 7 months, and I have two favorite posts. American Gothic - 8/29/07 and Sweet Gifts and Memories 9/4/07

These two posts struck a cord with me, and they painted a picture of you! I found you through the garden blogs from Austin, TX and enjoy getting your feed!

Cynthia

Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

Yay Kaylee! I read on Garden Rant that you won the book, well done you!
Happy reading!

Shady Gardener said...

Kylee,
I couldn't even begin to pick one favorite! I think, among all my favorites, are the ones about the trips you and your mom take together. :-)

If I don't win, I'm going to order the book anyway. You've given it a great review.

Unknown said...

My favorite has to be the "Painting flowers with digital watercolor" post. It's something I never would've thought to do on my own and I can see making a lot of crafts with "watercolors" from my garden.

Kylee Baumle said...

CJ, you made it in under the wire, and you're the winner! Congratulations! Please e-mail me through my profile to let me know where to send the book.

Thank you everyone for playing along and for reading my blog!

blogger templates | Make Money Online