Sunday, October 26, 2008

Green Thumb Sunday - Hardy Cyclamen



I was beginning to think my Hardy Cyclamen (Cyclamen hederifolium) wasn't going to show this autumn. I've got three different ones and I'd not seen a sign of any of them as of a few weeks ago. But then one day, I noticed the pale lavender blooms that look like pinwheels peeking through the leaves that had fallen from the Amelanchier that shades them.

It's difficult (for me, anyway) to accurately capture the details of the blooms because they're so pale in color. Photographing white flowers can present much the same challenge. Though I love the form of the blooms, it's the foliage that inspired me to plant them in the first place.

Hardy Cyclamen are spring and summer dormant, then pop up in the fall, as nights begin to cool down. The foliage will remain long after most perennials have died down, as they can survive temperatures below freezing. In fact, I have had the foliage persist through winter until spring, but mine are in a very protected location. They grow from corms, like good drainage, and are hardy to zone 5.



Join Green Thumb Sunday

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

They have such unique little flowers, almost like they're ready to take flight. :) How nice to have something new in the garden this time of year.

Anonymous said...

I definitely need to add these to the wishlist for an extended season of blooms. Their foliage is pretty special too.

Shady Gardener said...

Kylee, I know what you mean about photographing light-colored flowers. Sometimes, however, on my camera's "viewing window," they don't look as good as they are on the computer...

I really like these hardy cyclamen. Isn't it wonderful to discover unique little surprises such as this? I just planted bulbs of a second variety a couple of weeks ago. These bulbs were quite large, compared the the small ones of my earlier plantings.

How's your butterfly dilemma?

Kylee Baumle said...

Nancy ~ They make me smile whenever I pass by and see them. :-)

perennialgardener ~ They are just an all-around sweet little plant!

Shady Gardener ~ I know what you mean about how they look on the little camera screen. It works the other way, too. Sometimes I think I captured things very well, then when the photo comes up on the computer screen, it's a little out of focus (just like this picture!). That raging wind was blowing while I was trying to photograph this cyclamen and I never could get a sharp photo. Flash was out of the question, as it just washed things out.

Are your new ones C. coum, by any chance? I used to have some, but it appears that they have disappeared. I really need to do some replacing of these.

Little Miss Monarch is in the dining room, fluttering about every now and then. I called The Butterfly House today and got a recording stating they were closed for the season. :-( My next plan is to wait until Thursday, when we are to have warmer temps and sun for a few days and hopefully, we can release her again and she'll take right off.

You know, she's just adorable. Really! She climbs on my finger if I put it in front of her and lets me hold her. She'll fly off for a bit and then comes back to me, to my arm or shoulder. I wish I knew if she was eating or drinking. I've yet to catch her in the act if she is.

Shady Gardener said...

Hi Kylee, What a concern. I'm going to assume you're out of fresh blossoms to bring indoors... I share your concern.

My new hardy cyclamen are cyclamen hederifolium. :-) (A mouthful!)

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I have tried getting hardy cyclamen going in our garden but have had no luck. It is good to see that someone is having luck with it.

blogger templates | Make Money Online