Thursday, June 18, 2009

Lollipop Lollipop




That song is almost older than I am (I was one year old when it was released in 1958), yet when I see these Asiatic lilies blooming in my garden, its tune runs through my mind every time.

I promised to post photos when these were in full bloom, but I couldn't wait that long. There are several more set to open up soon, but already they're thrilling me. I just may love this Asiatic lily best of all.

'Lollipop'



There are other Asiatic lilies that have opened, too.

These three blooms are all 'Elodie', a double Asiatic. Usually, they all look like the softer shade of pink, but I like the darker one better, I think.


This orange was sent as a replacement for 'Italia' when Breck's ran out of it before filling my order. I wasn't happy, because in my opinion, 'Italia' is much prettier. I later reordered 'Italia' when it was promised to be back in stock and it will bloom later.


'Matrix' is just plain gaudy. It's an amazing lily though. When I walk by it, I can't stop looking at it, in awe of its gaudiness.

There will be other Asiatic lilies blooming later, and they're quite lovely, but I'm not sure any of them will capture my attention quite like 'Lollipop.'




14 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

You have a delicious collection of lolipops, I mean Lilies Kylee. They make me want to get more.

Frances said...

Hi Kylee, Lollipop!!! What a great song, I am a little older than you and remember it playing on the radio, positively infectious! Don't you love the hairdos, dresses, makeup, etc. of that era? Too cool for school. Now on to the lilies, funny how you have caught up to us southerners, our Lollipop is blooming too, but I don't remember planting it. Daughter Semi has it, she must have given me some and I didn't write it down. I know, incredible, but true. Your Matrix is a dream, that goes on the wish list, gaudyRus. :-)
Frances

Janet, The Queen of Seaford said...

Pretty funny Kylee...now I will be singing Lollipop all day long!!! You win, good one. (like Andy Williams with the 'pop')
Your lilies are beautiful. I also like the Matrix and the Elodie...it is fun to have a little variety in the bloom. And of course the Lollipop rocks!

Cathy S. said...

Great Lolipops Kylee! Especially the orange ones.

Monica the Garden Faerie said...

Well, that's better than hearing :Love is in the air" (and singing it, too!) whenever you see love in a mist--because I see them a LOT in my garden!

Gail said...

Lollipop is a beautiful lily...and very eye catching. I haven't any asiatics, just orientals and orienpets...I go for fragrance, but I can see I am short changing the garden by not planting beauties like Lollipop. gail

Victoria Williams said...

I love the Lollipops also and keep some in containers besides in the garden. Kim prefers the oriental lilies so we have many of those.
I think the color of the Asiatics is great.

Rose said...

I can see why you're so smitten with these "Lollipos," Kylee; they are beauties! Like Frances, I'm a little older than you and do remember this song. I think I would be singing it every time I walked through your lovely plantings of lilies.

JC said...

I find joy in the beauty of a Lilly.

Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

I love the lollipops. Such pretty colors!

Lona said...

Kylee what beautiful lilies. I have the Lolipop and just love them but your 'Elodie', a double Asiatic is just gorgeous. I really like the double blooms.

kate2.0 said...

Great photos!! I purchased my first asiatic lily this year, and I have a silly question - what do I do (if anything) when it's done blooming? Just leave it be? Prune it? Thanks to anyone who can educate me! :)

Kerri said...

I have Lollipop in my pink garden but she isn't blooming yet. Your garden is ahead of mine..as usual. She's a beauty, but so are the others. I love Elodie!

Margaret Roach said...

I have a thing for species lilies, or species lookalikes, ones with dangling or outward-facing blooms. I am especially fond of the martagon types, which are blooming now here in my Zone 5 garden. Thanks for the visit.

blogger templates | Make Money Online