Monday, June 1, 2009

Spring Fling Chicago 2009



Just how do I even begin to tell you what a grand three days Mom and I had in Chicago with 50 other garden bloggers over the past weekend? It was all I expected, and then some. So many wonderful things to see and do and great people to see and do it all with! In many ways, it reminded me of when I chaperoned Kara's 8th grade trip to Washington, D.C. - never a spare minute, because there were so many activities to be a part of, and I didn't want to miss any of them.

It was exhausting. But it's a good tired.


Since we live about four hours from downtown Chicago, we got up early on Friday and drove to the Chicago Botanic Garden, meeting up with some of the other bloggers there. Mom and I were pretty much on our own for most of the time, but spent bits of time with others when we ran into them.

This was my third visit to CBG, but there's always something different to see and enjoy.


Some images from the gardens:


































In the next few days, I'll be posting photos of the other sights we saw while in Chicago, but I'll take this opportunity to say thank you to the Chicago area bloggers who were the organizers of Spring Fling Chicago 2009. Mom and I talked all the way home about how much fun we had. While there were many pretty flowers and landscaping, famous and not-so-famous landmarks to see, and wonderful foods of all types, truly the thing I will remember the most is getting to meet so many wonderful people that I now have a special bond with.


Hugs to you all, and I hope to see you again next year
(If not sooner!) in Buffalo (NY), where Spring Fling 2010 will be held.


Next up: The Lurie Garden

21 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

What luck to be just 4 hours from the Chicago Botanic Gardens. I want to go back. I saw so little of it. There is just so much to see.

The SF was a great time. Such fun meeting the Bloggers that attended.

Mr. McGregor's Daughter said...

It was great to meet you and your mom. You're a great team! I'm glad you had a good time here in Chicago.

Janet, The Queen of Seaford said...

At first as I scrolled through the photos I thought, they are all so pretty, love the garden, will just comment on the group as a whole... then I saw the pansy wall with the parsley!! Absolutely amazing!!
Glad you went to the Spring Fling, look forward to more tales of the trip.

Seasonal Wisdom said...

Kylee: How cool that you all met at the Chicago Botanic Garden! Must have had a great time. Thanks for sharing your pictures. Never been to that particular garden, so it was a pleasure to see it through your shots. All the best, Teresa

Roses and Lilacs said...

Wonderful post. It's been several years since I've been to the CBG. Many of the plantings are on a grand scale but I always find ideas that can be adapted for the home garden.
Marnie

Unknown said...

Oooh... great pics, Kylee! And how lucky you were to be able to go to the Spring Fling. :) I can't wait to see all of the rest of your photos of the Lurie Gardens--and your reports, too!

Gail said...

Hi Kylee, Wasn't it wonderful! I loved the CBG and there wasn't near enough time to see all it had to offer...but your photos (they are good) remind me of the lovely gardens we saw. The poppy hill was brilliant and the Walled English garden was delightful! Btw, I didn't have near enough time to visit with you or your mother, either! gail

Amy said...

Oh, Kylee - such pretty stuff! Is that parsley and violets together on those tall structures?

Love reading your blog :-)

Amy

JC said...

Gorgeous ... love the photos. Thanks so much for sharing. Now, if I could just get a tiny bit of my yard to look like one of your photos.

~~~ I'm having a Pay It Forward on my blog ~~~

garden girl said...

Hi Kylee, what a joy it was to meet you and your mom! I'm so glad we got to spend some time together Saturday and Sunday. I enjoyed your company immensely.

So glad you got a chance to visit Gethsemane too, and that you caught up with Carolyn while there. I've yet to visit Gethsemane, and hope to rectify that very soon.

Pam/Digging said...

Kylee, I LOVED meeting you and your mom. You were both always smiling and ready for fun. I'm so glad you came to Chicago.

You saw things at the CBG that I never came across, which is what is so great about seeing all the different perspectives. My CBG post is up too. See you next year in Buffalo!

Frances said...

Hi Kylee, your photos are exquisite! It seems there were many parts of the CBG that I missed. Thanks for showing us too. It was a joy to meet you and your mom. Gail and I thought it was like being on a field trip too, we needed a long rope to hang on to. Looking forward to Buffalo already, I am saving a special spot on my dance card for you! :-)
Frances

Strawberry Lane said...

Gorgeous! Wonderful photos. Could spend many days wandering in such a lovely place.

Connie said...

Wow...such lovely sights. I had seen those purple columns in the vegetable bed on another blog, and was curious as to what it was, so I'm glad you showed us. Very clever use of color. I would've loved to have seen the poppies. They are a favorite of mine, and they look so good in such a sweeping expanse.

Lona said...

Wow, what gorgeous displays! Talk about a poppy field.There is so much I just love here.The arbor walkway,the purple vines,and the pansies. Just beautiful.

Katie said...

It was beyond great to meet you and your mom. It was like I'd known you for a million years!

Next time we make it back east, we'll take a couple days to come vitit your little acre.

Hugs!

Wayne Stratz said...

so glad to hear about a joyful trip.

Wayne Stratz said...

by the way, the photos are amazing, but so many that it really bogged down entering your blog. I nearly gave up.

Bren Haas said...

How did I miss this???? Keep me posted next time a big garden event comes around. I need to get out of the woods more often. These photos are AMAZING Kylee!!!! Thank you so much for sharing your fabulous day with us.

Happy Spring!

Dig, Grow, Compost, Blog said...

Hi Kylee, what beautiful photos. I'm sorry we didn't get a chance to chat more during CSF. It seems there was so much to see and do and so much to talk about! Maybe next year (if I can make it) we can have more time for that.

Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

A lot of catching up to do as I've been on holiday (twice), ill and too busy to blog. Thanks for sharing the SF experience it made me wish all the more that I had been able to come.

I hadn't realised that you are only a 4 hour drive away from CBG! It's a lovely garden and now I have a much better idea of all the gardener's delights it has to offer thanks to your wonderful pics.

blogger templates | Make Money Online