Friday, January 25, 2008

30 Years Since The Big One


I remember it like it was yesterday. But it's been thirty years since our part of the country got hit by the Blizzard of '78. The 'B' is capitalized because it was a major event and around here, you don't even have to give the year it happened when you mention it in conversation. If you were an adult living in the midwest and experienced it, you know just what blizzard that was.

I blogged about it last year at this time and I won't repeat what I wrote then. You can just go here and read it. But on this very cold morning (it's 2°F at 10:30 a.m.) I'm remembering it all the same. Our local news has been having reports all week from citizens recalling their experiences.

My girls look at the pictures and hear us talk about it and they wish they'd been around to see it. We've not had a snowstorm like that one in the thirty years since and I don't know if I'll experience one like that ever again. But with all the crazy weather we've had in the last few years, maybe they will.

6 comments:

A wildlife gardener said...

Happy New Year...and happy gardening days ahead :)

Shady Gardener said...

It's amazing, isn't it? I was raised on a farm in northern Iowa (south of MN border) and when I was in middle/hs (I forget, exactly) we had snow like your photos! The cows got out by walking over the fences, and Dad had to carry food and water in 5 gallon buckets! A lot of effort because we had a lot of livestock. In the Spring, melted snow created a river that flowed under the ice and cut a shallow valley between the house and the buildings. :-)

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I remember this storm Kylee. I thought I would get a day off work since my car was buried and they sent a driver after me. They even took my kids to daycare for me. Ha..

Muum said...

I was living in upstate New York that winter, in the small town of Ballston Spa. One day the mail didn't even get delivered! Sadly, we have as much snow here(UTah) as your photo of the car in the driveway shows! But we are at 5,000 feet here, so it isn't totally unexpected.

Anonymous said...

I remember it well! I was living in Highland, IN at the time. My brother picked up some extra money after the storm shoveling the neighbor's roofs!

Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

Wow, I don't think I have ever seen that amount of snow for real. Must admit that I'm happy to know that it is an exception for you too. It doesn't bear thinking about if you had this kind of thing every year, would it?

blogger templates | Make Money Online