Friday, January 18, 2008

Gifts of Ourselves


Nothing gives me a thrill more than to be surprised by a random act of kindness. It doesn't matter whether I'm the one doing it or I'm on the receiving end. Both feel good.

Last month, I offered to send some seeds from my garden to a fellow blogger friend - Kate, from Kate Smudges in Earth, Paint and Life. She was particularly interested in my yellow scabiosa seeds. The day before I mailed them out to her, Romie and I had checked out the clearance section at our local Walmart.

There were baskets of odds and ends of skeins of yarn greatly reduced and a royal blue confetti yarn caught my eye. I don't knit or crochet, so it wasn't likely that I would use it for anything, but I remembered those lovely scarves that Kate had made. I didn't know if three skeins would be enough to make anything, but it was just so pretty and so inexpensive, I knew I had to buy it and send it to her along with the seeds. She would be able to create something with it, I was certain.

Well.

Imagine my surprise when I went to the mailbox yesterday and found a package from Kate. That stinker knitted the yarn I'd sent her into a scarf and sent it back to me! That sure wasn't what I'd expected her to do with it. The scarf part, maybe, but the sending it to me part - no. What a truly thoughtful thing for her to do.

Kate, thank you for giving a part of yourself to me. The scarf is beautiful, but your generous heart is even more so. I will remember what you did for me every time I wear it. I like too, that a part of my garden will be growing in yours, representing the sharing of ideas, hearts, and friendship across the miles that blogging and the love of gardening has brought to our lives.

8 comments:

Robin's Nesting Place said...

That is a beautiful scarf. I love that color!

Robin (Bumblebee) said...

Isn't blogging wonderful? I had a similar experience with my friend Ruthie at RJKnits. She read that I coveted some hand-knitted dishclothes--and knitted me some. How sweet is that?!?

The Internet opens all sorts of doors for friendship.

--Robin (Bumblebee)

Unknown said...

That's a wonderful story--and so not surprising. Two such great people (and I get to be friends across the miles with both)...as Robin says, the Internet opens all sorts of friendship doors.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

How sweet is that!! A beautiful gesture on both parts.

kate said...

It arrived!! I loved the way the scarf turned out and I knew that it needed to be yours. I was so touched by receiving all of those incredible seed packets that I wanted to do something special for you. The colours in the scarf are gorgeous. I had great fun knitting this for you.

I am so looking forward to spring when your seeds will be growing in my garden. It is so true - the sharing of ideas, hearts and friendship across the miles. We are truly lucky!

Kylee Baumle said...

The scarf is really really beautiful and so well done! I just love it and I'm still blown away by your generosity, Kate! *Hugs*

Anonymous said...

That is a wonderful scarf!
I will try and find some blue poppies and see if I can get them going in my greenhouse, I have never tried them either.

Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

Well, nobody can deny that we garden bloggers are a close-knit ;-) community. What a lovely scarf Kate has knitted for you and what great material you picked, Kylee. So Kylee happy scarf wearing and Kate happy sowing!

BTW Thanks very much for the link you sent me Kylee, now I finally know what to say when US gardeners ask me about what zone I garden in. Zone 8!

blogger templates | Make Money Online