Monday, January 21, 2008

Just A Little Spontaneous Creativity


I've said that I don't have a creative bone in my body. It skips a generation when being handed down through our family. My mom has more creativity than any one person should be allowed and I've threatened to put a sign in front of her house that says, "Martha Stewart DOES live here." Kara inherited this trait from her, although not quite to the level that Mom's got it, but give her time - she's only 27.

However, I was inspired over the weekend to dress up a flower pot that I'd bought at Walmart the week before. The pot is pretty cool by itself, because it has a rectangular area on it that's painted with chalkboard paint so you can write the name of whatever you've planted in the pot on it.

I liked it for its novel idea, but I thought it looked rather bare, too.
So I took some fake ivy that I had laying around and a ladybug that has been here for so long that I don't remember where it came from and let loose with the hot glue gun.

Five minutes later, I had this:

4 comments:

Robin's Nesting Place said...

That's a cool flower pot! I like the ladybug.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

You can no longer say you aren't creative. This is great! I need that little bit of blackboard on all my planters so I remember what I have.

Shady Gardener said...

Very Very cute idea. I have a number of plants that might appreciate more attractive containers! :-)

A related note: I use the rectangular metal plant markers outdoors. I got tired of "losing" the names of the plants, so I spray blackboard paint on the markers and write the name of the plant with a white paint marker. So far, after 2 years, so good!

Kylee Baumle said...

Robin ~ Thanks. They probably have ladybugs like that in most craft stores. Probably other cute things you could decorate pots with, too!

Lisa ~ Well, this is just about the extent of my creativity right here! I can follow directions and recipes and patterns, but to come up with something on my own - rarely!

Shady Gardener ~ What a fabulous idea! I mark my outside metal markers with labels from a label maker, but I'll bet yours look much more classy!

blogger templates | Make Money Online