Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Wildflowers - A Favorite



I don't know that I've ever seen a wildflower blooming in winter around here, but there are plenty come spring. Last April, we took a walk through the woods near our house and there were all kinds of wildflowers growing. Purple trillium, spring beauty, wood violets, Dutchman's breeches, trout lilies, Virginia bluebells.

Dutchman's breeches have the cutest blooms that look like pantaloons, hence the name. The Virginia bluebells have the most incredible ruffly purple-blue-magenta skirted blooms. The trout lilies and the trilliums look handsome with their mottled foliage. But the bloom that fascinates me the most is that of the wild ginger.

It grows abundantly along the rivers and creeks and deep in the woods here. Last spring, I transplanted about ten plants into our shade garden, at the base of the honeysuckle trellis. The heart-shaped leaves are pretty enough, but you need to get down and look under the leaves to see the really beautiful and unusual blooms that appear in April and May:

Asarum canadense

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Join Elizabeth Joy at Wildflower Morning as she marks the time
until spring with weekly wildflower themes.


11 comments:

Naturegirl said...

How I long to walk in the wooded areas and see wildflowers growing in Spring!For now I shall enjoy winters beauty.

Unknown said...

I have A. canadense in my shade garden, but don't think I've ever seen it growing wild here. Such a lovely plant, although I wish the flowers WERE a little bit more noticeable; I know they are there, but the ordinary visitor wouldn't unless they got down and looked.
Glad you're taking part in this too, Kylee--I remember your wildflower posts from last spring.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Oooo I just love ginger blooms. I have a small patch of ginger at the end of the patio. It is growing its way over toward the water feature. I guess that is where it wants to be.

Elizabeth Joy said...

I like Wild Ginger too. They are hard to photograph because they are so modest about their beauty. You did a great job of capturing their color and stunning geometry. I'm so glad you have joined us for Wildflowers in Winter.

Mr. McGregor's Daughter said...

What a great pic of the Ginger bloom! I grow them & sometimes pick a bloom to see it more closely.

ellen b. said...

I've never seen this bloom before. It is beautiful. I have to get out more! I'm so happy to be exposed to so many beautiful flowers in bloggy world...

Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

I remember that walk well, Kylee and I hope that the ten plants you transplanted in your shade garden will bloom next Spring for you.
Isn't it funny how the flowers play peek-a-boo beneath the leaves?

Hope said...

We have these in the woods behind our house! Very nice photo!!

Frances, said...

Stunning photo of the bloom! This plant has struggled here, not enough water, not enough shade, too hot...too something or not enough something. Lucky you!

Annie in Austin said...

This virtual Wildflower walk was a lovely idea - and your photo of the ginger blossom is fine.

We didn't have a digital camera back when we had wild ginger - I forgot how they looked, Kylee. Thank you.

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

Molly said...

If wild ginger grows in Ohio, certianly we have it here in Indiana too. I will have to be on the lookout for this unique flower in the spring. Dutchman's Breeches is one of my favorites.

blogger templates | Make Money Online