Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Oh, Henry!


I first saw Henry one day a couple of years ago and it was love at first sight.

I'm a little embarrassed to say that our relationship began as an internet romance. I know, I know...

All the usual questions went through my mind...

"How do I know Henry is really who and what he claims to be?"
"What if I meet him and I'm disappointed?"
"What if he's just after money, then once he gets that, he'll desert me?"


But I couldn't get Henry out of my mind.



They say spring makes you think of romance, but late summer came and I knew I just had to have Henry, one way or another. I would make it happen.

As is true with most romances, things happen when you least expect them. You can plan and scheme and do all the right things, but you can't hurry love.
Then one day, there he was, right in front of me. I looked at him and he looked back and we both knew he was coming home with me.


I'll spare you all the details, but I'll tell you that it was a match made in heaven. I'm so happy I chose him and from the looks of Henry, he's pretty darn happy about things, too. They say actions speak louder than words.


Sweet Quilled Coneflower
Rudbeckia Submentosa 'Henry Eilers'

Zone: 4-8
Height: 36-60"
Full Sun
Blooms mid-summer to early fall
Drought tolerant
Fragrant foliage (vanilla-scented)
Native Midwestern prairie plant, discovered in southern Illinois
More information


16 comments:

Kara said...

Fantastic!
I had a similar relationship with David.
You know, the white phlox. :)

Meems said...

I like the looks of Henry. You made a good choice. All of my coneflower efforts have fizzled... no matter that the tag says they'll be okay down here in Z9 I think they just can't take the humidity.

Your guy is a keeper and well worth the risk you took. :-)
Meems

Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

Henry is very good looking, I can see why you were attracted to him. I wonder if Henry has any friends out this way. I've never seen any quite like that one. Very pretty.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I must get to know this Henry too. I love most anything with Quills. What a handsome dude.

Kylee Baumle said...

Kara ~ Oh yes, I've seen David. I haven't succumbed to his wiles yet.

Meems ~ It's actually a black-eyed susan, regardless of the common name. Do those grow okay for you there?

Catherine ~ I don't think he's much of an extrovert, but if you keep your eyes open for him, you might spot him. That's how it was for me. We were just both in the right place at the right time.

Lisa ~ Isn't he though? I love quills, too. I think it's my 'Sundown' coneflower that does that sometimes, but not always. Then there's my coreopsis 'Jethro Tull' and Chrysanthemum 'Matchsticks.'

Gail said...

Oh that Henry! He does seem to get around! I brought him home, too! gail

Kylee Baumle said...

Gail ~ He's quite the player, isn't he? ;-)

Robin's Nesting Place said...

Cute! I think Henry might just have us all swooning after him.

Garden Lily said...

He's sweet! I could fall for Henry, too. I'll see if I can be in the right place at the right time, to run into him. After all, romance sometimes needs a little help.

Muhammad khabbab said...

yeah the henry is worth falling for. i am so much amused after reading the henry story,am really delighted.

Janet, The Queen of Seaford said...

What a cute post Kylee. Henry is an interesting Rudbeckia, I have never seen him before. Congrats on a match made in heaven. ;-)

Connie said...

He is charming indeed. I have had my eye on him myself. I tried some quilled sunflowers this year called Sparky....they look rather similar.

Nutty Gnome said...

Haha - I enjoyed this ....and I can see why you fell for Henry. I hope he's a bit fickle, then I can share him! :)

Frances said...

While I adore the prose of Henry Mitchell, which showed up on the you might also like links below your post, your Henry will have to, make that MUST come live with me too. I hope he has some brothers, clones most likely. He has it all! :-)
Frances

EAL said...

I was just looking at Henry on Nan Ondra's site: truly a remarkable rudbeckia and one I may need to grow.

Carla said...

I've had similar affairs. Some productive, some not so. May Henry be fruitful and multiply in your care:)

blogger templates | Make Money Online