Sunday, October 21, 2012

I Wonder If Our Chickens Would Eat This. Would YOU?


Every year, what's left of our giant oak tree that split in a storm several years ago grows chicken. Chicken of the woods, that is. An edible mushroom, Laetiporus sulphureus forms on the wounds of trees, mostly oak, and leaves the tree in even worse shape than it was to begin with by causing  brown rot.



Some years, we have bigger clusters of it than others; this year it seems to be average-sized. I've never been brave enough to try it, though it's supposed to be one of the few that is safe for beginners because of its easy identification. Since it is said to taste like chicken (thus, the common name), I wonder if our chickens would eat it. There isn't much that they won't eat, but if this tastes like chicken, would they want to eat something that tastes like THEM?



For more information on this edible fungus, go here.

8 comments:

Carolyn from Cowlick Cottage Farm said...

I've tried Chicken of the Woods mushrooms in restaurants, and they are delicious. I would definitely give them a try if I were absolutely sure that is what they were!

MyMaracas said...

I recently faced the exact same dilemma, and I chickened out. (LOL)

Next time, though, I AM going to eat this.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Excellent question. Are you going to feed it to them or guide them to it? Can't wait to hear the answer. Great shot of your chicken, the feathered variety I mean.

bakingbarb said...

How wonderful that the edible fungi grows so close, it is beautiful in color.
Love the chicken face, makes me laugh.

Nancybeth said...

Grandpa would go "hunting" every fall for these. They are delicious fried up with eggs.

Karen said...

Interesting post! I think I learn something new every day - this probably isn't good for the tree, right? I'd be tempted but probably afraid to eat it. Great post!

Julie said...

I'm such a chicken (pun completely intended.) I've been growing shiitakes on logs, and we're too afraid to eat them! The problem is--these logs are also growing turkey tail and several other mushrooms that I did not intend--I only used spore plugs for shiitakes. So, now hubby and are are cowardly. Also, though, when I harvested one that I knew wasn't a shiitake (before the big flush that we're having now), I just happened to be watching the "Today Show." Ironically, they were interviewing an author who had inadvertently poisoned his family by serving them mushrooms that were toxic--and he was an experienced forager. That mushroom did not become dinner. (Turns out, it was an oyster, completely edible.) So...while I wish I was brave enough to try the Chicken of the Woods, I doubt that I would--although they are supposed to be delicious!

RobinL said...

I would not eat it Sam I Am. I would not eat chicken fungus. Not in a box, not with a fox. But I think I would give it to the chickens!

blogger templates | Make Money Online