Friday, June 14, 2013

The Garden Appreciation Society: Week 5


I haven't kept up with each week of cutting selections from the garden to enjoy inside, mainly because I haven't spent much time inside in the last few weeks!  We were preparing for a garden club's visit to Our Little Acre (more on that later) and if anyone was going to appreciate the flowers, the garden was the best place to do it.

But I promised Erin when it was over I would share something.  Here it is - an unlikely bouquet of:



  • Rosa 'Lavaglut' (a.k.a. 'Intrigue' and 'Lava Glow'), which is a bouquet on a stem all by itself!  Introduced by Kordes in 1978, this florabunda rose has the deepest, richest, darkest shade of red, which can be very difficult to photograph acurately.  Hardy in Zones 5-10.



  • Tanacetum vulgare 'Isla's Gold', a brilliantly colored tansy.  This herb is non-edible (all parts of the plant are toxic), with highly fragrant foliage, hardy in Zones 3-9.  It has small white daisy-like blooms about mid-summer, and while they're nice, I grow this one for its stunning foliage.



  • Physocarpus opulifolium 'Coppertina™' (a.k.a. 'Mindia').  There are several cultivars of ninebark that I like, but none as well as this one.  It was introduced in 2006 and it took me several years before I found it in a garden center.  I only have one, but ohhhhhh, what a one it is!  New foliage in the spring goes through several color changes, then it blooms, and then its whitish flowers turn blood red!  One of my very favorite shrubs EVER.


To see other appreciative efforts, visit The Impatient Gardener.  Thanks to Erin for hosting and for inspiring me to enjoy my garden's flowers in the house.  In spite of being the author of Indoor Plant Décor:  The Design Stylebook for Houseplants,  houses aren't just for houseplants.  Flowers can make a statement, too.





2 comments:

MLK said...

Beautiful bouquet. Too bad you couldn't keep it till Christmas...the red and green would be perfect!

Erin @ The Impatient Gardener said...

You are SO good at this, Kylee. What a fantastic bouquet. For me, the star is the tansy. I have added it to my list of plants I must have.

Thanks for participating. I hope the tour went well!

blogger templates | Make Money Online