Monday, February 16, 2015

Longwood Gardens: Shades of Gray


It would just be too tacky to make a play on "that movie" that premiered over the weekend, so I won't do that. But I have to show how much better Mother Nature does it anyway.

In my last blog post, I shared some photos of last spring's visit to Longwood Gardens.The conservatory there is a world all in itself, with each partof it worthy of an essay highlighting its features. It was the lovely shades of gray in its Silver Garden that especially caught my eye this visit.

Take a look:











So many of these plants exhibiting gorgeous shades of gray/silver/blue look as if they would be feathery soft to touch (and some are), however those stunning agaves are anything but. Flowers are beautiful, to be sure, but the Silver Garden of the conservatory is a prime example of how foliage, with subtle hues and bold textures, can be a stunning element of design.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0985562226/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=0985562226&linkCode=as2&tag=theliteraryworld&linkId=7PJ357WGNEJPX6VX Fellow St. Lynn's Press authors, Christina Salwitz and Karen Chapman, have written one of the best books on this subject Fine Foliage: Elegant Plant Combinations for Container and Garden.


5 comments:

RobinL said...

This garden is stunning indeed. But it's the kind of garden I only want to look at, and not have for my own. Does that make sense? I need more color, more life, more vitality in my life! This would make a great calm and serene garden, but that would also put me to sleep. LOL

Kylee Baumle said...

RobinL ~ I DO know what you mean, Robin! That's how I felt when I was in Tucson a couple of years ago. All that brown and gray bored me in a few days. The weather was lovely, but I understood why they use such bright shades like turquoise and orange in their homes. Luckily, we can grow a variety of things here and we can do vignettes of shades like this if we want to. We're not bound by a desert environment that these plants love.

Pam/Digging said...

Kylee, I am drooling over these images. Beautiful, especially those agaves!

Kylee Baumle said...

Pam ~ Well, you KNOW how much I love agaves, thanks to you! ;-)

Jeff Morgan said...

The succulents here are laid out perfectly to create a space that is inspiring and peaceful. I wish I had this much talent to create the same sort of oasis on an unused side of my garage. A couple of chairs and a small water feature surrounded by something like this would be incredible.

Thank you for the inspiration.

blogger templates | Make Money Online