Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Have You Ever? (The Garden Version)


There's a game that most of us have played at some point or another in our lives, most probably our younger lives. It's called, "Have You Ever?" and it's a way to find out things about your friends that you might not have known before. If they tell the truth, that is.

For example, you might ask something like, "Have you ever smoked a cigarette in your high school during school hours?" or "Have you ever eaten a booger?" You know, stuff like that.

That could be a fun game to play in the garden, too. For your entertainment pleasure, file these questions away for your next get-together with your garden buddies.

Have You Ever...

  • ...nurtured a weed, thinking it was a flower?
  • ...grown a plant on the Invasive Species List?
  • ...planted a fragrant plant in your garden for the sole purpose of rubbing your hands on it and smelling them once in a while?
Helichrysum italicum is commonly known as curry plant, although it's
not edible. It just smells like curry powder. I plant this one just to rub its leaves.

  • ...used your bypass pruners to dig a hole?
  • ...planted a full sun plant where it got shade for most of the day, thinking a couple of hours of direct sun would be enough, only to find out it wasn't?
  • ...planted a tree too close to your house?
  • ...killed a plant that everyone else you know can grow without even trying? Multiple times?

Johnny jump-ups hate me.

  • ...moved the same plant more than twice?
  • ...temporarily hidden plant purchases behind or under shrubs so your significant other wouldn't notice that you'd bought more plants?
  • ...bought way more seeds than you could ever plant in a lifetime?
  • ...helped yourself to seed pods from the hotel's landscaping while on vacation?
  • ...felt guilty for thinning seedlings and sorry for the ones you pulled out?

You get the idea. We all break the rules now and then, because gardening rules beg to be broken, even if we don't break them on purpose.

By the way, yes, "I have ever" done ALL of the above. I'll bet you could add a few questions of your own for this game. C'mon... fess up in the comments! 🙃


8 comments:

Alison said...

I have done many of these, although not the tree one. I have planted big shrubs too close to the house, but never a tree. Also, usually if I move a plant more than once, I dig it up and give it away.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Ha... I have done all the above. Lovin' every minute of it.

outlawgardener said...

Guilty on all counts. Have you ever planted a running bamboo without a barrier and done no rhizome pruning for 15 years?

bittenbyknittin said...

I've done most of these have-you-ever's. I have a hard time leaving a solo plant behind at the nursery - I want two, the nursery has three, so all three come home with me because I don't want the third plant to feel sad if left behind.

RobinL said...

I've pretty much done all of these. Is that so wrong?

Kylee Baumle said...

Alison ~ I planted a Snowfountains weeping cherry tree too close to the house back when I didn't know anything. LOL. Luckily, the tree takes to pruning well, so it's still fine there, at our entry. But I wish we could just let it do its thing.

Lisa ~ That makes me feel so much better! 😊

Peter ~ Ooooh...I'll bet that was something! 😂 No, I've not done that. I haven't actually found a bamboo that does all that well here. I'd kind of like to grow it if I could, though.

bittenbyknittin ~ I'll have to use that "last plant" excuse! We wouldn't want the plants to be lonely. I totally get it. 👍

RobinL ~ Not in my book, Robin! I just figured confession was good for the soul and wanted to cover my bases. 😉

Jason said...

I counted seven that I have done myself. Wishful thinking often compels me to violate the "right plant, right place" commandment.

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness I can't stop laughing right now. I have done all of these things! So funny & relieved to discover I'm a "normal" crazy garden lady!

blogger templates | Make Money Online