Sunday, September 14, 2008

Toad Lily 'Tojen'



It's that time of year again. Fall, to be sure, and I love nearly everything about it. The one thing I don't like is what follows, but I won't hold that against it. In the garden, the fall flowers are just beginning to put on their show, namely the mums, but what I always look forward to are the Toad Lilies (Tricyrtis sp.).

I have several varieties and I'm always on the lookout for more, but my absolute favorite is the one that is the first to bloom this year, 'Tojen.' What grabs my heart with this one is the shading. Going from pure white to deepest amethyst all in one petal, with a touch of gold for good measure, makes a tiny orchid-like bloom seem like pure perfection. No freckles like her cousins, not that there's anything wrong with freckles. I like those, too. But 'Tojen' does everything right when it comes to Toad Lilies.


Toad Lily
(Tricyrtis 'Tojen')

Zone:
5-9

Light:
Part to full shade

Bloom Time:
Late summer to Frost



Join Green Thumb Sunday

12 comments:

Lythrum said...

I love your toad lily pics, I planted my first one this year and can't wait to see some blooms. :)

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I can see why you like this one the best Kylee. It is gorgeous.

Cindy Garber Iverson said...

What a delightful and tropical looking fall bloom. Your photo captures is so wonderfully.

Cindy

Pat said...

I thought toad lilies bloom in the summer.
I planted 6 tiny ones last year and they're no blooms this year...hum.
Yours look lovely.

Patsi

Mr. McGregor's Daughter said...

'Tojen' is my favorite too, but for a different reason. I like it because it gets so huge. Mine's over 3 feet tall & wide & blooms for such a long time. I can't seem to get a good shot of the whole plant.

Kylee Baumle said...

Lythrum ~ Oh, you'll love them! Just like little orchids!

Lisa ~ Thanks, Lisa.

Cindy ~ Thanks, Cindy. I always look forward to it blooming.

Patsi ~ Last year, 'Tojen' bloomed earlier than normal, but they're generally early fall blooming plants. Hang in there with yours. Maybe you'll get blooms next year!

Mr. McGregor's Daughter ~ Really? How do you do that? Mine is one of the smallest I have! And I've had it for about three years now.

Anonymous said...

Awesome plant, and a great photo.

F Cameron said...

How lovely! :-) I have to wait until I GROW some shade here at my house. We built the house and moved in on Labor Day 2005, so I've got to be patient while everything matures. Cameron

kml said...

It is certainly beautiful! Very unique!

Shady Gardener said...

Kylee, I've visited Three (3) times and finally found time to write a note! ha. Anyway, Tojen is definitely on my "Wish List!" It will help me get over my having to dig up sick plants earlier!!!

Isn't it funny how plants can differ from garden to garden? Just like those short little ones in my north bed and tall ones I have elsewhere?

Have a great day! :-)

Shady Gardener said...

Kylee, What did I do today? I've visited this post three (3) times lately and finally found the time to leave a comment... and it didn't show up! Whew!

Anyway, your Tojen is now on my wish list! (Well... I don't have to have your plant unless you want to give it away! ha!) ;-) Anyway, it will help me get over my having to have gotten rid of the sick plants earlier!!!

Isn't it funny how the same plant can behave so differently in peoples' gardens? My short one would probably be tall in yours!

Have a great day!!!

O.I.M said...

just got my first toad lily -- white towers -- and I'm in love already. don't know if i like the bloom or the spotted foliage more. it's so nice to have flowers so late in the summer.
cheers
irena

blogger templates | Make Money Online