Sunday, November 16, 2008

Breath of Heaven



I have sung the praises of the heavenly scent of brugmansias before, but I have to do it again. It's that good. As I sit here with my laptop on Green Thumb Sunday, I don't even have to look over the back of the sofa to know that the brugmansia is blooming again. I can smell it.

It's one of those night sniffers. You could catch the faint fragrance it releases during the day if you stick your nose into one of its big trumpet-shaped blooms, but wait until dark and it announces its presence with its perfume.



There is a peachy-orange one with a single bloom down in the basement greenhouse, but the variegated one behind me has three. Right now, this is the best seat in the house.


Join Green Thumb Sunday

4 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Your talent of overwintering flowers is phenomonal. I don't have such luck...or skill.

garden girl said...

They are so pretty, and it's no wonder they're called angel's trumpets - the scent is so heavenly. Ours bloomed after coming in for the winter. I couldn't get enough of that intoxicating scent!

Anonymous said...

Wow what a beautiful bloom! I love plants that are fragrant, they add another dimension to the garden.

Corner Gardener Sue said...

It looks like brugs don't get as large as daturas, unless that is just a start of one. How tall is that one? How much light does it need? Did you start this one by a stem cutting? I need to check to see if I can even grow that in Nebraska.

blogger templates | Make Money Online