Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day - June 2010


Of course, we knew there would be oodles of blooms for June's Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day. It's probably the best month of the year for showing off what's flowering in the garden.  But the crazy spring weather we've had has produced some crazy blooming as well! Brown-eyed Susans blooming at the beginning of June?

We've had more rain and higher temperatures than normal for an extended period of time and that has produced jungle-like conditions in the gardens.  Mosquitoes included.  No matter what time of the day you go out there, you're sure to be bitten and if you happen to be pruning shrubs in the shade, you're taking your life in your hands as the mosquitoes swarm you like angry bees.

Does that sound like I'm complaining?  Okay, just a little bit, because I can't think of a single good reason that God put mosquitoes on the face of the earth, but who can complain about these:



Gaillardia 'Tizzy'



Campanula 'Cherry Bells'


Alstroemeria 'Princess Zavina'



Rosa 'Morning Magic'




Gray Lavender Cotton (Santolina chamaecyparissus)



Rosa 'Kordes Perfecta'



Asiatic Lily 'Tiny Ghost'



Lavender (Lavandula sp.)



Tropical Hibiscus



Heuchera 'Palace Purple' with Butterfly Weed (Asclepias tuberosa 'Hello Yellow')



Geranium (No ID)



Echinacea 'Hot Papaya'



Mixed Delphiniums



Daisies (Leucanthemum) and 'Ladyfingers' Daylily (Hemerocallis)



Coreopsis 'Sienna Sunset'



Clematis 'Huldine'



Ostrich Ferns (Matteuccia struthiopteris) with Houttuynia (Houttuynia cordata)



Butterfly Weed (Asclepias tuberosa)



Oakleaf Hydrangea (Hydrangea quercifolia 'Snow Queen')




Veronica spicata 'Royal Candles'



Monarda 'Petite Wonder'



Maltese Cross (Lychnis chalcedonica)



Heliopsis 'Loraine Sunshine'



Leptodermis oblonga



Endless Summer® Hydrangea (Hydrangea macrophylla 'Bailmer')



Black Hollyhock (Alcea rosea)



Dianthus 'First Love'



Japanese Climbing Hydrangea (Schizophragma hydrangeoides 'Moonlight')



California Poppy (Eschscholzia californica 'Carmine King')



Masterwort (Astrantia major 'Ruby Wedding')



That's just part of what's blooming here. I LOVE this month!

Thanks, Carol, for once again hosting Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day, likely the most popular meme on the 'net! And thanks too, for expecting me to always be late in posting. I wouldn't want to let you down! :-)



11 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

You are right it is a bountiful GBBD this June. I have never seen the gallardia you have posted. It is really pretty.

F Cameron said...

Your garden is blooming with the same plants that are in bloom way down here! Actually, my butterfly weed is about to bloom and yours is ahead. My susans haven't bloomed...has the Earth been turned? Have our latitudes changed?

Lovely flowers -- all of them!

Muhammad khabbab said...

Ah beautiful beautiful blooms. You are lucky that you can grow both gaillardia and campanula and see the blooms in same season.

mr_subjunctive said...

We have a few black-eyed Susans blooming here, too. I thought it seemed a little early.

Kara said...

I love Tiny Ghost, and so do the rabbits. :(

How long have you had Cherry Bells? The first year I put them in they looked great- loaded with huge blooms. The next year it spread out really thin and didn't flower at all. So I ripped it out. I'm such a quitter.

Kylee Baumle said...

Lisa ~ I got 'Tizzy' last year. There's another one that came out at the same time called 'Frenzy.'

Cameron ~ We enjoyed an early spring here and it hasn't looked back since that time. Everything is 2-3 weeks ahead. But some things are way ahead of that even. Very different, that's for sure!

Muhammad ~ Gaillardia blooms all summer long here, and many of the Campanulas do, too.

mr_subjunctive ~ Yep. Definitely WAY early!

Kara ~ No rabbit problems here, because we've got the outside cats that they're afraid of.
My 'Cherry Bells' have done the EXACT SAME THING! I really don't care for them. They're invasive, really and like you said, no blooms. I was actually surprised to see these blooms this year. I ripped quite a bit of it out a couple of weeks ago. Not a favorite of mine, that's for sure. 'Pink Octopus' has been a big disappointment to me, too.
I guess we're both quitters? LOL

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous blooms!

Chiot's Run said...

Don't knock the mosquitos too much, many species rely on them for food, particularly bats & hummingbirds.

Love the parage of blooms. Quite lovely.

Kylee Baumle said...

Stephanie ~ Thanks!

Chiot's Run ~ The mosquitoes like me way too much. They bite me all the time and a LOT. To the point that every last nerve of mine is on edge and I feel like I'm going to come right out of my skin. It's awful. Even when I do use a repellent, they still seem to find a part of me that I missed. :-(

Carolyn ♥ said...

This is my first visit to your blog but it certainly won't be my last. I've had a delightful stroll through your blooms... Tizzy was my favorite with the Clematis Huldine taking a close second. Beautiful! What zone are you in? I'm wondering if they will grow in my zone 5 garden.

Rose Gold said...

Wow! That is definitely one great collection of flowers there! I am so inspired to grow more flowers in my garden! Those cherry bells are so beautiful! I can't wait until I see it in my garden blooming like that in your post! So beautiful! Next June, Maybe I'll be able to share my flowers here.

blogger templates | Make Money Online