Friday, October 10, 2008

It's Berry Exciting!



Bloom time is listed as spring and early summer, and don't we wish that's what it was! But my 'Berry Exciting' Corydalis is blooming now for the first time since it was planted in late spring. It was very, very small when I received it and I even wondered if it would survive at all, but slowly, it has increased in size with faithful watering throughout our dry summer, and now it's blooming.

I have another Corydalis (sempervirens - also called Rock Harlequin) that I purchased this year, too, and I'm underwhelmed with it, although I do love its greyish foliage. The blooms are yellow and pink and quite small and there's nothing really remarkable about it. As summer wore on, it declined. Not going dormant really - in fact, it produced seed pods - but not vigorous by any means. I have read that it self-seeds to the point of being a nuisance. We shall see. But this 'Berry Exciting' is gorgeous and only got better as time went on.

Its fern-like foliage is a unique shade of chartreuse with dark edges and it is a graceful addition to the part-shade or sunny garden. The deep plum flowers are a bonus, really. And guess what? They're fragrant. To me, they smell nearly identical to Lily-of-the-Valley, a scent I love.

Corydalis 'Berry Exciting' is supposed to be hardy to zone 5 (I'm in 5b), and I'm hoping this proves to be true, because this is one addition to the gardens that's a keeper.


_____________________
Photo of Corydalis sempervirens from Terrapin Gardens.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Absolutely beautiful, Kylee! Don't you love it when a plant presents you with those surprise blooms?

Cindy Garber Iverson said...

Yet another discovery thanks to you, Kylee! :) If it smells like Lily-of-the-Valley, I would love it!

Thank you so much for your thoughtful and kind words you left today. You insights have set the tone for a lovely day enjoying COOL temperatures. Thank you!!!!!

Hugs and love,
Cindy

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Not only are the blooms beautiful on this cordyallis but the leaves are a beautiful color. It definitely is a keeper. I wonder if it will reseed itself like some of the others do when it is established?? Good luck with it.

Kylee Baumle said...

Nancy ~ Yes, I do! I was just thrilled that it decided to grow for me, and then when I noticed its gorgeous purple fragrant blooms, I was grinning from ear to ear!

Cindy ~ Hugs and love right back at you! :-)

Lisa ~ I don't know if it will reseed or not, but it's just fine with me if it does! I love the dark edges on the leaves. I don't know if it was like that in the summer or if it's just a fall thing. But that chartreuse color is an eye-catcher in any season!

Shady Gardener said...

Kylee, This looks like something I'll have to put on my Spring Wish List! It's beautiful. I planted a variety this summer that didn't thrive, but another is growing well. (I'm not home right now, so I can't remember what it is!) Thanks for the inspiration!! :-)

blogger templates | Make Money Online