Thursday, October 23, 2008

Little Miss Monarch


Without further ado, meet the newest member of the Monarch world, soon to join the ranks of thousands as they make their way to the hills of Mexico:







It's supposed to reach 60° later today and it's sunny, so as soon as it's warm enough and Little Miss Monarch is ready to fly, I will set her on her way. It will take approximately two months for her to make the trip to Mexico and at this late date, she has absolutely no time to lose. Averaging 200-250 miles a day, she will undoubtedly encounter more cold air before she reaches the warmer southern climate where she will be more comfortable.

By the way, I did stay up pretty much all night to watch for this event, but she is just like most babies, they are born when they are good and ready. She emerged at 8:40 a.m. EDT. And technically, she's now an adult. She probably was giving karma to me for my procrastination habit, don't you think? ;-)


16 comments:

Unknown said...

These never get tiring to watch, do they Kylee? We didn't have any this year because of the fog; I suspect they couldn't find the place and if they did it was too wet to lay eggs! Lots of adults came through at various times but no babies here; at other locations not far away with less fog, no problem. Oh well. There's always next year.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I think she is beautiful. Only good karma here.

Muum said...

Thanks for sharing these wonderful pictures with us all!

Unknown said...

Oooh... after I heard why you were up so late on Thursday, I just knew that I'd find some wonderful photos of the new girl here. :) Thank you for posting them.

Happy (and safe) travels, Miss Monarch!!!

Gail said...

Fantastic! A wonderful series of photos. What a treat to see them.

Thank you for staying up!

Gail

Anonymous said...

What a lucky little lady she is to have you watch over her all night. I wish her well on her long trip. :)

Lythrum said...

Awesome picture, thanks!

Connie said...

Awesome photos, Kylee! Thanks for sharing them.

Louise Hartwig said...

Wonderful Pictures!!!!!!!!!! Mom

Anonymous said...

We'll look for her flyover as she passes through Texas.

Anonymous said...

Fantabulous photos!

Cindy Garber Iverson said...

Such a pretty lady! I read on Facebook that you're bringing her back inside to stay warm and dry. I hope she's fine.

Cindy

Benjamin Vogt said...

Cool cool! She better book it....

Anonymous said...

Absolutely amazing. Thanks for capturing this miracle for us to share.

Shady Gardener said...

Kylee, Don't you love how everything "works?" How the body is so huge and how the wings need to be pumped with blood, how she needs to rest a bit and dry off before she begins that long flight? Beautiful, Beautiful photographs!!! Thank you!!!

Kylee Baumle said...

jodi ~ It will never get old, this miracle. I'm sorry the fog kept them away from your garden this year. I remember how many you had last year.

Lisa ~ She really is gorgeous!

Muum, Kim, Lythrum, Gail, Connie, Nancy, Mom, Mother Nature, ~ It was my pleasure!

PerennialGardener ~ Every bit of the process is a miracle!

Pam ~ I sure hope she gets to make the trip so you can wave. Next attempt at release will be this Thursday. We are to have snow showers this evening, so we're waiting for the Indian Summer weather to arrive.

Cindy ~ She's fine so far. She flutters and flies around the dining room a little bit. I haven't seen her sip at the orange slices or water that we've put out for her, but I'm not in there all the time either. She seems to have good energy levels so far.

Ben ~ She's here in the house right now, fluttering around my dining room. It's to be warmer for a few days starting on Thursday, so I'm hoping to release her again then.

blogger templates | Make Money Online