Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World - A Book Review


We gardeners understand that cats and gardens just naturally go together, as witnessed by the many bloggers that have both. Apparently, they get along pretty well with libraries, too.

As a world-renowned cat lover (well, this is the internet), and rescuer of many, it's hard for me to understand how people can do the things they sometimes do to them. When Vicki Myron reported to work one cold January day at the Spencer, Iowa library and found a tiny, freezing kitten in the after-hours book drop, she couldn't understand it either.

Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World
by Vicki Myron with Bret Witter (list $19.99, Grand Central Publishing) recounts the story of Dewey, so named for the numbering system a library uses to file its books.

I'll admit, when I first started reading the book, I wondered how it came to be that there was enough material involving this cat to fill even a small book. Oh me of little faith...


Not wanting to reveal too much about what happens with Dewey, let's just say that he does what we cat lovers have known about our beloved felines since the first time we fell in love with them. Dewey charmed the staff and went on to become the library mascot and win the hearts of the town and many around the world.


The book is an easy read, peppered with actual photos of Dewey (I wish there were more). I smiled as I read of Dewey's quirky habits and antics and as you can guess, before the book was done, I reached for the Kleenex
box. When all was said and done though, and I closed the book after the last page, Dewey left me feeling good and marveling at the power that a small animal can have on human beings, many of whom he'd never met.

But wait! There's more! Just today, I read that there is going to be a movie based on this book, with Meryl Streep slated to star as the librarian who discovered Dewey in the book drop. When you read the book, you'll want to see the movie.



Vicki Myron, with Dewey
Tim Gallagher/Sioux City Journal




_________________
The product or merchandise being reviewed in this blog post was the sole compensation for testing and reviewing the product. All opinions expressed here are mine, with no suggestions whatsoever by the manufacturer or distributor. If I like it, I'll say so. If I don't, I'll say that, too.

12 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

This sounds like a good read for the holidays.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great read Kylee.

Aunt Debbi/kurts mom said...

Kylee, That sounds like such a good book. I will look for it the next time I go to our library.

BTW, my flour and water mixture has a few bubbles.

Kerri said...

I just read about this book on Sunday and it certainly sounds like a story I'd enjoy. Gotta love a good kitty tale :)

MyMaracas said...

My son just gave me this book as a present because he was touched by Dewey's story too. I've read only a chapter or two, but it's clear that little cat brought a lot of light and love to the world.

Brenda Pruitt said...

Oh, I have to read this book! I never heard of it!
Brenda

Unknown said...

Oh it sounds like the perfect book for Peanut and I to read. We read books and watch movies about animals together all the time. I haven't gotten her into chapter books just yet as she adores large numbers of animals pictures but I'm sure I'll talk her into it someday.

Amy said...

This sounds like a very sweet book and movie, though I must admit...with three children who have serious cat allergies, picturing one in a public library sort of gives me the shivers, lol!!

RURAL said...

I have this book on hold at the library, it should be coming soon. Saw a review on it in the newspaper, and of course I was hooked. Cats, books, libraries, what more could I ask for.
Jen

O.I.M said...

i sense a book purchase in my future.
irena

Jan said...

Hi Kylee! I'm so glad you left me a comment because for some reason, your blog was one I don't think I've been to yet! And boy, I really am glad thay I came. You have beautiful photographs and stories and your whole blog just seems really interesting and inviting. I will 'follow' you on the widget, if you don't mind...

As for your question re: my poem; I would be honored if you would like to share it. As you said, all I ask is that you credit me with a link. (I wrote that poem the day before THanksgiving, right after I got up. I'd promised myself I was going to do a poem for the holiday and that's what I came up with, rather quickly, I might add.). I like to write, I just don't usually take the TIME to write.
Anyway, thank you so much for visiting me, and for asking if you could share my poem! I'm so happy you stopped by! Jan

Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

Sounds like a great book about a very special kittycat. I love cats and books, so a book about a cat is just up my street, isn't it? ;-)

Wish we could go to that movie together when it comes out. Will you bring the tissues or shall I? :-D

blogger templates | Make Money Online