Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Garden Bloggers Bloom Day - December 2008


It's easy for me to post for Garden Bloggers Bloom Day this month. I don't have anything blooming in the garden. That means I'm technically not eligible to participate, I guess, but just because I don't have anything blooming outside, that doesn't mean I don't have any blooms.

I do have one plant blooming out there, if you can call freeze-dried blooms "blooming." The rose that I posted a picture of last week is still there, although more faded in color.

I looked for viola blooms, like I had last year, and wouldn't have been surprised to find them under the layers of frozen leaves. But though the plant itself is still a vibrant green, there are no blooms. So, we'll have to go back inside to find color, and that's okay with me because with it being 17° F. out there, I'm not about to spend much time admiring the garden.

Most of what I have blooming is downstairs in the basement greenhouse. I could bring them upstairs while they are blooming, but there's such a difference in the temperatures that I'd hate for them to get used to the warmth upstairs and have them think it's spring. Most of the basement plants have gone into a semi-dormant mode and I don't really want to disturb that too much.



A couple of the Kalanchoes (Kalanchoe blossfeldiana) are putting out blooms. Winter is their normal bloom time here, so I might bring one of those upstairs and just leave it until it can go back outside in the spring.



The Heliotrope (Heliotropium arborescens 'Fragrant Delight') gets to looking pretty pathetic by spring, but it always manages to eke out a few pale blooms throughout the winter. It's not as fragrant in the basement, but still has that telltale vanilla scent.




One of the
Brugmansias put out a few blooms in the last few weeks. I think this is the last bloom until next summer for 'Cupid's Blush' though. It's not particularly fragrant in the evenings as is usually the case with the brugs, but that may be due to the much cooler conditions it's in. It's such a pretty color though.











The Crown of Thorns (Euphorbia milii) is in a south window where it gets the most sunlight possible in the house, and it blooms all winter, although by spring the blooms will be less vibrant. Summer sun deepens their color.















I brought the pot that has the
Cordyline in it for overwintering and that pot also contains purple Angelonia (Angelonia gardnerii). I was surprised to see a single bloom on it this morning. As prolific and carefree as the Angelonia was out in the garden this past summer, I shouldn't have been surprised, I guess!








Not truly in bloom yet, the Bougainvillea (which didn't bloom at all the entire summer) has been producing its gorgeous bracts ever since I brought it inside. I can see the flower buds forming, so they will be in bloom soon, but it's the raspberry bracts that I love so much about this tropical.



I'll soon have Amaryllis (Hippeastrum) in bloom inside from three of the bulbs that are in pots right now. And one of the orchids has the promise of future blooms. It's always a big event when both of these plants break into flower.


I'm sure January won't bring any new blooms outside, but with all the Amaryllis I have here and orchid blooms lasting so long, we'll have those to look forward to!


9 comments:

Pat said...

Beautiful flowers.
Love the Bougainvillea...something about the color.
Always had a basement,don't have one now :(

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Great indoor blooms Kylee. I think I like your freeze dried rose about as well. I would be tempted to put it under glass for awhile.

Jan said...

Wow, Kylee, you have an impressive array of indoor blooms. I need to think about how I could try doing some type of 'greenhouse' in my basement. I suppose I could get one of those plant lights, and of course, 'read' up on how to go about it...! That's probably a good place to start: read! Duh. Anyway, yours are gorgeous. Jan

joey said...

Kylee, both offering for bloom day and photos are lovely. Happy Holidays!

Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

That plethora of blooms inside make up for the lack of flowers outside (except for the freeze dried roses).

Love the Angelonia, such pretty flowers!

Lona said...

The Heliotrope looks so pretty. Just the splash of color we need when the snow is whirling outside.
I have been tempted to get a Bougainvillea and then over winter it indoors. Since yours is flourishing indoors I may have to try it.

Kylee Baumle said...

Patsi ~ I would miss my basement if I suddenly didn't have it, although my husband told me the other day if we ever (by some amazing turn of events) got the chance to build a house that he'd want a much smaller one (agreed) with no basement. WHAT???? I'd have to think about that one!

Lisa ~ Hmmm...that's an idea!

Jan ~ My basement greenhouse isn't anything fancy by any means! I just bought shop lights and no special bulbs. Just the standard fluorescents. I've done this for the past two years (this is the third) and my plants do very well this way. It's much cooler in the basement, so that slows growth, too. It works for me, so I'm sure it would for you, too!

Joey ~ Thanks, Joey. Happy holidays to you as well! :-)

Yolanda Elizabet ~ Those Angelonias were non-stop performers in my summer garden and I will definitely buy them again next year, and more of them, too.

Hocking Hills Gardener ~ Definitely try it! I wouldn't say mine are flourishing, despite the color they're showing, but many people have great success growing them as a houseplant. I love them and wish we could grow them outside year round.

Unknown said...

Not eligible? At least you had blooms to share. Mine was all about snow and misadventures in my frozen tundra that used to be a garden. I'd say your blooms were much nicer to look at than a road covered with a solid sheet of ice.

Carol Michel said...

Seems like your 'basement greenhouse' is full of blooms. The plants probably really like the cooler temps down there.

Thanks for sharing blooms with us again for bloom day!

Carol, May Dreams Gardens

blogger templates | Make Money Online