Friday, April 24, 2009

Cincinnati Flower Show 2009 - The Window Boxes


One of my favorite parts of the Cincinnati Flower Show each year is the Window Box Showcase. Stations of four-square window boxes are planted with one hanging basket and one window box. Various themes can be found, as well as some that are just plain pretty.


Peppered throughout the grounds were these large painted pots. This one by the windowboxes shows the Cincinnati skyline in the background.



Everything in this display is edible!


The orange and yellow flowers in this display are collarette dahlias; the purple is trailing verbena.


Perhaps not showy from a distance, this display using succulents was one of my favorites.




So much beautiful texture in this one!



Another of my favorites was this display using those electric blues of hydrangea and lobelia with some lime green thrown in.


11 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Seeing all of these window boxes just makes me more anxious for the wrens to get their family fledged from inside my window box. I can hardly wait to plant mine. I have a new idea for this year. I can see why you like these displays.

Stephanie Stebbins said...

Wow, gorgeous!

Robin's Nesting Place said...

I can see why you enjoy these window box displays. I've never seen any quite like this before. Love it!

EAL said...

Very pretty and an interesting concept.

Rosemary said...

What a great post. Love window boxes. My fav in fact I think I will be doing one up is the last with the hydrangea.

Brenda Pruitt said...

These are beautiful! And so inspiring. I find window boxes to be so romantic.
Brenda

JulenaJo said...

Beautiful! We went last year. A great show, isn't it? Inspiring! Thanks for sharing.

Flanella Jo Washington said...

Dear Our Little Acre,
i was researching blogs for blogs that like gardening and flowers and i perchanced upon your blog. i really enjoyed your pictures and they gave me some hemonious ideas. i just started my blog a few weeks ago and me an my husband love iris flowers. We have a lot of them. Thank you for taking the time to let me read you blog.
Flanella Jo Washington

Nutty Gnome said...

Wow, what a great idea - I've not seen anything like this at a British flower show, hope it catches on!

I love the one with all the different textures in it - makes me want to stroke all the plants!

Floral Still Life said...

I loved all of those window boxes - except the catus one. My husband likes catus, though. I think my favorite one was the hydrangeas.

Terra said...

These are pretty displays.
Kylee, you won the copy of "Gardening Eden", that I am giving away on my blog.
I will send you an email about how to send me your street addy.
Congratulations, I can see from this blog you will put some of his green tips to good use :)
Terra

blogger templates | Make Money Online