Friday, January 29, 2010

A Mid-Winter Visit To a Local Oasis of Green


It would seem that Mom and I hadn't had enough togetherness during our recent trip to New York City, so the Thursday after we returned, we found our way to the Foellinger-Freimann Botanical Conservatory in Ft. Wayne (IN).  Our American Horticultural Society membership allows us free admission, so we use it several times during the year when we want a nice, relaxing stroll through their gardens.

Never does it feel more like a respite from the outside world than it does in winter.  The colors of the flowers and the aroma of "green" does a person good, physically and mentally.

Each time I visit the conservatory, I try to photograph something I haven't before or things I have, in a different way.  And some things are just so beautiful that I never tire of photographing them any way at all.

From the day's visit:






















































































Links to previous visits to Foellinger-Freimann Botanical Conservatory:

10 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

What gorgeous photos. I could almost smell the place.

Joseph said...

I LOVE conservatory visits in the winter. And great photos! I especially like the close up of the bird of paradise, and the lovely little planting of succulents.

garden girl said...

How beautiful Kylee. I can almost smell those brugmansias from here!

Beth said...

Absolutely gorgeous, Kylee! I'll be going to the Botanical Center of Des Moines tomorrow for a garden talk - appropriately enough, a talk on photography in the garden. You do such a great job of capturing the beauty both in photos and in your magical, conversational style. Thanks, Kylee! This was a great start to my day!

Beth

http://beyondthegardengate-beth.blogspot.com
http://foodasart-beth.blogspot.com

Lona said...

Kylee could you hear me ewww-ing and ahhh-ing? LOL! Oh, what a treat for a cold day. Your pictures were so good. Like walking through your very own secret garden.

Melanie J Watts said...

Lovely photos Kylee. The next time I'm in Vancouver I'm definitely going to Bloedel Floral Conservatory. I been there once , its like a visit to the tropics. Thanks for the inspiration.

Unknown said...

MMMMM! This secondhand bit of green made me feel a little better too...given that we're having a blizzard this cold day! Back to winter but better now than in May, I say.

Paula Jo @ home garden accents said...

Breath taking pictures. Now I can't wait until spring. They do make a person feel better. They sure did for me. It took me down memory lane. Thanks so much, and I'm sure you had fun.

Anonymous said...

Gosh, Kylee, these are so exotic and colorful I wouldn't want to leave! What fun to go with your mom too. With my daughter Semi, I am the mom and we do have fun together like you guys. We are both very lucky ladies. :-)
Frances

Melody said...

Thanks for the gorgeous pictures! Just what I needed for this rainy gloomy day.

blogger templates | Make Money Online