Monday, January 25, 2010

Always Something There to Remind Me...


...and surprise me.  We've had plenty of winter this season, though we recently have enjoyed warmer than normal temperatures.  The January Thaw has taken place, with the thermometer reaching into the 50s over the weekend. The garden has responded, if only temporarily, by sending us reminders that spring is just seven weeks away.  Okay...eight.

The sun was shining on Saturday and yesterday was a good day too for taking a walk in the garden. The snow that told me we'd had deer was now gone and several of the perennials surprised me by having quite a bit of green at their bases.  The poppies were entirely green, which just dumbfounds me, considering all the problems I've had growing Oriental poppies in the past.

But the one thing I found that really blew me away was "Something Magic," an aptly named Cyclamen coum.  It's still blooming!  How can that be?  A few days ago, it was all but covered by snow, and now this:


Cyclamen coum 'Something Magic'

It seems I have something that surprises me each winter.  I still recall January 2008's Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day, when I had English Daisies in full bloom.  None of them are blooming this winter because I no longer have them. They succumbed to a hot, dry spell last summer.  Go figure.

What has surprised you in your winter garden?

4 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I am surprised I haven't heard more people talk about their Snowdrops about to burst into bloom. Mine are up and several buds are formed.

Kylee Baumle said...

That's because you live in the Miami of Indiana! LOL! I checked both locations of mine today and there's nary a thing. I'd have been surprised if there had been.

Rose said...

Lovely blossoms and sunlight framed in wonderful photos!

Diana said...

How nice that the deer didn't ear your Cyclamen! Isn't it just the strangest gardening year ever? I posted my surprises last night! Great minds and all that... http://bit.ly/6l1V8P

blogger templates | Make Money Online