Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Garden Bloggers Bloom Day - January 2008


I've got blooms! I've got blooms! OUTSIDE!

I actually broke this news two days ago on Green Thumb Sunday. The English Daisies (
Bellis perennis) I grew from seed last spring are blooming NOW. I just can't figure out how or why they're doing this. We've had two major snowstorms and many days of temperatures below freezing, even a couple times dipping below zero. We've got a bit of snow now, with temperatures in the low 20s.



But wait! There's MORE! The violas are still blooming, too!


I'd expect to see such behavior out of the hellebores, but they're being a bit reticent. Maybe I'll see some action out of those by February or March when Garden Bloggers Bloom Day rolls around. Meanwhile, in the house we've got some nice flowering going on.











There are three African Violets in bloom right now and a couple more with some buds coming.




'Lemon Lime'
amaryllis is still blooming (second flower stalk), and now both stalks of 'La Paz' are in full bloom. I really love the spikey look it has.




The yellow Abutilon is about to burst into bloom again and the variegated one has flower buds on it, too. A yellow kalanchoe that's had buds for over a month now has been brought up from the basement and put in a south window in an effort to get it to finish what it's started. The hoya is still blooming, too, and has more clusters in process.





The heliotrope (Heliotropium arborescens 'Fragrant Delight') is blooming, although it's a little less intense in color than when it's outside. Its fragrance makes up for it though.

Euphorbia 'Diamond Frost' is still eking out a weak bloom here and there, but my intent for those is just to get them through the winter until it's warm enough to plant them outside again.
I've got several more amaryllis that I'm going to pot up tomorrow. Next month, there might be some pretty blooms to show from those!


19 comments:

Robin's Nesting Place said...

I'm still amazed at your English Daisy blooms. It looks so pretty in the snow. I can't believe you have violas in bloom too.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Oh My Gosh, do you ever have blooms and one outside!. Hmmmmm It makes me want to start some winter planting of the daisy.

Carol Michel said...

Those are either just incredible English daisies or very confused flowers. Either way, Blooms Outside in January in the Midwest, they are quite welcome.

Thanks for joining in for bloom day again.

Carol, May Dreams Gardens

Unknown said...

Yea for outside blooms, Kylee! Although that first African violet is so beautiful, it made me want to run out and get some right now; gorgeous colour.
I have a second stalk of flowers coming on my first amaryllis (the one that wasn't pink), so that will be good, as the pink one is just finishing up.

Meems said...

Kylee: ooooooo... your amaryllis photo is breathtaking. Of course a daisy with ice atop must take the prize of the day! The violets are lovely too. Happy GBBD to you with blooms outdoors even.:-)

Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

Ah, there you are. I had checcked your blog yesterday but no GBBD!

Well done Kylee that you have real blooms outside. Isn't it wonderful?

Love those african violets but can't have them as Vita destroys them all. sigh!

Love that spikey Amaryllis, it's very pretty.

How nice to have that gorgeous heliotrope fill the house with its lovely scent.

Dave said...

The English daisy looks great, especially for pushing through the cold temperatures! Nice pictures!

Thanks for coming by The Home Garden!

Kylee Baumle said...

Robin ~ I can't believe it either! And even after our really cold night last night, they're still unfazed. They'll probably be reduced to mush this weekend, though, when we plunge into single digits near 0 degrees.

Lisa ~ You don't have anything to lose by wintersowing some Bellis! Just do it! :-)

Carol ~ I like to think my English Daisy flower children are incredible as a result of my being such a fine flower mother. But we both know that this is probably a fluke. No matter! I'm loving it!

Jodi ~ You've talked about the AVs being cat hair magnets and some of mine do have some cat hairs on them. I have them located where the cats don't come in contact with them though. (Well, Jilly proved me wrong on that, didn't she?) Go for it! They don't cost much. ;-)

Amaryllis just help so much to get me through the long winter.

Meems ~ Thanks! I just love amaryllis and several of mine came from your area! (Lakeland and Bradenton) Happy GBBD to you as well!

Yolanda Elizabet ~ When I do several posts in a row, sometimes I wait before publishing until after the e-mail notification has gone out for the previous post. I wish Feedburner sent the notifications out right after publishing.
Vita! Naughty kitty! Adorable, but sometimes naughty!

Dave ~ You've got to love a flower with such persistence, don't you? ;-) Thanks for visiting - I hope you'll come back again!

Sweet Home and Garden Carolina said...

Hey, Kylee,

Are you sure you didn't plant some fake flowers outside? Just kidding !

It's always great to see the unexpected isn't it ?

Catherine Holman said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. I can't believe you have flowers blooming in that weather. You definitely have a green thumb!

Ewa said...

Your amarylis Lemon Lime.... wow! what a flower and what a picture!

This is amazing that despite of snow daisies and pansies are blooming!
I think I will give them more attention this year :)

Greetings from melted already Poland.

Anonymous said...

Those amaryllis are gorgeous (I'm a sucker for green flowers) and that hoya! - What's your trick? Thanks for coming by bwold!

kate said...

I love seeing the Hoya in bloom. It is beautiful as are the Amaryllis. The 'Lemon Lime' is my fave, but I really like the look of 'La Paz'.

Those English Daisies are so pretty peeking out of the snow. I hope they keep on blooming until spring!

verobirdie said...

The flowers in the snow are amazing.
I love your Lemon Lime amaryllis.
If you go to http://aufildujardin.blogspot.com/2008/01/gts_13.html you'll see I have one a bit like La Paz. It is blooming right now too.

Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

WOW! Flowers in the snow...how beautiful. All your flowers are beautiful for that matter.

Thanks for stopping by to visit and commenting about my dead camera. I loved it so much and would really have loved to have two at one time...a tiny one for my pocket and a bigger nicer one as well, but we can't have everything we wish for. Now I just have to wait and see what happeneds and use my picture phone for a little while...Grrrr.

Kerri said...

Oh, daisies in the snow...how spectacular! I wonder what in the world possessed them! The Johnny Jump Ups are tough little beauties. You have some really beautiful blooms there. Love the African violets! Both the Amaryllis are glorious. My 2 aren't sending up stalks this winter...so far. I'd love to try a hoya. Yours is gorgeous. I didn't think to try wintering over my heliotrope!
I'll look forward to seeing your Abutilons blooming :)

Muum said...

The English daisy is amazing. It is great to see all your flowers, thanks for sharing them!

Shady Gardener said...

That was wild... to even think the daisy or viola would have had energy enough to bloom at This time of year? ha. Nice surprise!

Your indoor blossoms are beautiful! Very inspiring. (As is your work on the computer!) I just visited your other blog. Lots of fun. I'm "jealous!" ;-)

Jessica said...

I never knew that you could grow heliotrope indoors...is it difficult? Yours are gorgeous and such a pretty blueish purple color:)

blogger templates | Make Money Online