Tuesday, January 22, 2008

The Short List For 2008


In general, a "short list" is a list comprised of items which are in prime position for being chosen for something. Every spring, I make a short list of those plants for which I keep my eyes open, when visiting nurseries throughout the spring, summer, and fall.

Besides those things on my short list, there are also some that I keep in the back of my mind for possible addition to the gardens. It's not likely that I'll find nor buy everything on my short list, and occasionally I will come across something that is on that mental list I keep. That's how the daylily 'Hush Little Baby' came to live in my garden late last summer.

Sometimes, an item on the short list will be carried over from a previous year if I can't find it locally. Depending on how elusive it is, I will order it online if that's the only way I'm going to get it. Two th
at come to mind that are now growing in my garden as a result of online ordering for this reason are Hosta 'Blue Mouse Ears' in 2006 and Campanula 'Pink Octopus' in 2007.

I purchased 'Pink Octopus' from Big Dipper Farm and though it was late in the season when I got it, it grew very quickly, almost to the point that it gave indications that it could be invasive! If I find that to be the case this spring, I'll move it to a spot where I'll happily let it take over. The foliage is lush and beautiful and if the blooms are anything like their photos, I want lots of them. Let the invasion begin!

Let me say right here that Big Dipper Farm is one of my favorite online nurseries to deal with. Deidre pays very close attention to their customers and is very helpful with whatever concerns you have. She really knows her stuff. (And no, I haven't been compensated in any way for saying that!)

I'm beginning to compile my short list for this year's gardening season and on the list at this time are:

Perennials







































Shrubs

Roses


















I'm sure I'm forgetting a couple that I've seen and said that I must have. As the season goes along, I'll probably change my mind about a few of these for whatever reason. Sometimes when I see the plant in person, I don't like it anymore and sometimes my ideas for the garden change.

Did I really tell my mom just a few short months ago that the garden was pretty well as I wanted it and that I wasn't going to add any new plants, except to buy additional plants of what I already have and know work for me? Did I really say that?? I must have been having a bad day.

___________________________
Photo credits: 1-Dutch Gardens; 2-Big Dipper Farm; 3,6,12,13,15-Wayside Gardens; 4,5,7,10,11,16-Garden Crossings; 8,9-Bluestone Perennials; 14-Wikipedia Commons; 17-Monrovia Plants; 18,19-Weeks Roses.

13 comments:

Barbara said...

Lucky you! You seem to have the empty place for all these wonderful plants!!!My list is every year almost as long as yours but finally I have to admit, that space is always getting smaller. All borders and beds are more or less filled and getting bigger, lawn disappears miraculously, and the sitting places have new functions as pot places...But every year new plants arrive in my garden in spite of that ;-) !!

Lisa at Greenbow said...

EGAD$ you surely didn't say your garden was "pretty well as you wanted it". Can that ever be??

I could add every lovely plant you have listed here. I think I already have the amsonia but wouldn't another be nice?? :)

It is wonderful to see all this color. It won't be long now will it? My mind is churning out ideas buy, I mean by, the dozens. :) I have a terrible case of the GADS. I need to focus as you have so I will end up with something other than a lot of thoughts.

Meg said...

Kylee, you would not be a gardener if your garden was exactly how you wanted it. That's missing the whole point! I'm glad you came to your senses.

Christine said...

I don't think a garden can ever really be 'done', can it? Oh my, they come out with too many new plants every year to be 'done'. Don't tell my husband I said that!

Mr. McGregor's Daughter said...

The only plant I have on your short list is Campanula 'Samantha.' You will love this plant! I have admired the others on your list, except for that Weigela. I have never heard of it b4. I'd better go check it out, it looks really cool! Thanks for the intro.

Shady Gardener said...

What a great "Short List!" ;-)

Actually, I know what you mean... I do the same thing. It's times like this (seeing your blog) that I wish I had more warm-weather sunshine so I could plant some of those sun-loving plants! But this Shady experience is fun and offers oppportunity for creativity and new learning experiences. (It's fun!)

You've a couple of neat plants I'm going to check into! Keep up the great postings! :-)

Kylee Baumle said...

Barbara ~ While I do have the space for all these things, I don't have the $$$. So having an acre to work with can be both a blessing and a curse!

Lisa ~ I did say that!! I don't know what I was thinking. And Mom was probably laughing at me inside herself when I said it, too. I have no sense whatsoever when it comes to buying plants. No willpower either. So yes, it's clearly a case of GAD$!

Meg ~ It was my lame attempt at trying to convince myself that this year I wasn't going to spend so much on plants for the garden. But it's no use. I can't say no to my garden!

Christine ~ Nope, never truly done, it seems. Gardening is a verb and succumbing to the wiles of all those luscious offerings is just part of it. And don't worry - I'll keep your secret. Don't tell mine, either! ;-)

Mr. McGregor's Daughter ~ I love the lighter centers of 'Samantha'. And I've fallen for the whole group of campanulas.

Shady Gardener ~ I probably need something limiting like having only shade. That would cut down my temptations!

I've left off several things from this list, so I'm already compiling another post of additions. *sigh* I'm hopeless...

joey said...

What a feast for the eyes, Kylee!
Coneflower (Echinacea 'Green Envy') and Coral Bells (Heuchera 'Miracle') will be a must for sure and probably 'Tiramisu'- if I don't have either already (I'm crazy about Heuchera). My garden has been growing for over 30 years ... my husband just rolls his eyes in the spring and grabs the edger!
Sweet Coneflower (Rudbeckia submentosa 'Henry Eilers') did not perform well for me last season :(

Unknown said...

Yum!I gotta get that Kolkwitzia, Kylee...I saw it mentioned somewhere before (maybe you?) and didn't make a note of it. The note is now made...
That's not so bad a list...shouldn't cost too much with a little checking around. And who needs to eat, anyway???

Anonymous said...

Did you really say that to your mother? Why, that would take all the fun out of things if it were true! Here's to never being satisfied with the garden. :-)

Jessica said...

yay! we share some "list" plants:):) For some reason, I've been really attracted to green-hued flowers for spring....I already have seeds for the Zinnia 'Envy' and the Coneflower is next up on my list! Also, 'Ebb Tide' will soon have a place on my deck!

Benjamin Vogt said...

Some good stuff on your list. I just got a ninebark coppertina last summer, so we'll see how it goes. However, Nan over at GGW said it doesn't really get coppery for her. We'll see. I also picked up a wintherthur viburnum but need another for some pollination action.

Jamie Rex said...

I love your short list! I have several of these in my garden, and have some of your items on my short list, too!

blogger templates | Make Money Online