Sunday, January 10, 2010

New York City, Here We Come!


A few weeks ago, I shared the news that Mom and I had been granted tickets to the special show on blogging that Martha Stewart is doing this week. There were some issues that needed to be resolved before I could confirm that we would be there. As each one got taken care of, one last hurdle had to be overcome.

Since the exact date of the show wasn't stated when I filled out the application, I decided to take my chances as to whether or not it would interfere with my job.  I work as a dental hygienist in a dental research facility.  My work there is sporadic, depending on when studies are conducted and when my services are needed for them.  I'd been asked to participate in a study where I would have a very specific role and it was necessary that I be there. And you guessed it - the show was on the 14th - smack dab in the middle of that study.

I made several phone calls and as luck would have it, the study dates were changed - not because of me, but because of unrelated circumstances. I found this out the day before the deadline for me to confirm our attendance.

Before I had a chance to fill out the confirmation form and send it back, I received a phone call from The Martha Stewart Show, asking if I would be in attendance, since they hadn't heard back from me yet. I enthusiastically assured her that we would be there and as soon as I got off the phone, I answered their questions and e-mailed it off.

Now that we were confirmed for Thursday's show, I set about finding us a hotel.  As is usually the case, I researched it to death, including asking my Twitter buddies' advice.  When you've never been to a place like New York City, any and all recommendations are helpful and appreciated!

While the cost of the trip was my biggest concern, I learned that January is the worst month for tourism there, so hotel rates are much lower.  When I plotted out on Google maps the sites we wanted to visit, I determined that accommodations near Times Square would be best. I got our flight and hotel booked as a package, which saved us several hundred dollars over booking each separately. (I priced the trip both ways, and it did indeed save us.)

Our hotel room is on a curved corner of The Crowne Plaza, with a panoramic view of Times Square. That was an option that was available at no extra charge and, with the night lights, will just add to the whole experience.  Where I live, the night view is dark enough that we can stand in our back yard and watch the Perseid meteor shower in August with no problem.

We leave Ft. Wayne, IN, very early on the morning of Wednesday, January 13th and arrive at LaGuardia at 10:50 a.m., so we'll have the afternoon to do some sightseeing before the show on Thursday morning.  Once the show is over, we'll fill the rest of our time with as much as we can cram in before we come back home on Sunday.

Our first evening in the city, Mom and I will meet up with Chris, a.k.a. Flatbush Gardener, whom we met in Chicago at the Garden Bloggers Spring Fling 2009 in May.  It will be nice to see him again!

It's highly likely that we'll not manage to fit in everything we'd like to do, but we're going to try.  Weather may affect that, of course, but we'll be prepared for the cold.

In case you wonder what all we'd like to do, here's our list:



Now you see what I mean about the time factor.  No doubt we'll be exhausted when we get home - no matter what - but it will be a good tired.


___________________
*NYC graphic from http://blog.nau.com/2008/02/29/painting-the-big-apple-green/

32 comments:

Carol said...

What fun! Have a wonderful trip! I hope you have great weather. Friday nights are free at the Metropolitan Museum of Art... just down from the Gugg. it is so fun to walk around the galleries and on the balcony they have music and serve wine and light fare. Pricey but so fun to then walk around the wings of ancient Babylon, Syria or China. Enjoy!

Unknown said...

I'm so thrilled for you and your mom going on this epic trip! I've never been to New York City, and in fact feel totally daunted at the prospect, but I get to go vicariously through you. Have FUN!

Chris Kreussling (Flatbush Gardener) said...

Looking forward to seeing you again!

Diana said...

I hope you have a wonderful, fun-filled tour of NYC! It sounds as though you've planned a whilrwind list of activities, and I hope you find a way to accomplish them all. Congrats on scoring the Martha tickets!

Have a great time! :)

Earth Girl said...

Kylee, I'm thrilled for you and can't wait to read about your exploits. I work on Thursday so I will try to record it.

Sabrina said...

I'm so glad that you'll be able to go! When we lived on Long Island, I loved our excursions into the city!

The tour buses can be fun, but you can get to a lot of the places in your list by foot or subway or cab, and save a little money that way. (The subway itself is an experience!)

You can get Broadway tickets at half price from the kiosk on Times Square -- look for the big red TKTS sign, I think it's on the north side of the square.

Both of the botanical gardens are a fair distance away from where you're staying. We went to the New York Botanical Garden, which was quite nice in the summer, but I'm not sure how much thre will be to see in January.

The Guggenheim is fabulous, and I LOVE the Metropolitan Museum of Art.

Have a WONDERFUL time!

Robin's Nesting Place said...

I'm so glad that it worked out for you to go! I can't wait to hear about the experience!

Gail said...

What a wonderful thing to be doing. Take lots of pictures and let us know when the show airs.

Enjoy enough for all of us.

Janet, The Queen of Seaford said...

Just checked for which station we get Martha's show on....will be watching!! I am excited for you. Here's hoping for good weather and a wonderful time.

Shady Gardener said...

Kylee, You will have a wonderful trip!!! I hope I remember to turn on the television! :-)

Shady Gardener said...

Yes, it's me again. I wanted you to know that I linked to your 101 post... I've just set out the first of my Milk jug Greenhouses! :-) Looking forward to Spring seedlings!

Jan said...

How exciting, Kylee! We just got back from NYC...we went right after Christmas. Saw a broadway show; the Rockette's at Radio City Music Hall; went to MOMA...(last yr. we went to the Gugenheim); saw 'Bodies' while it's there (though it's already been here in DC); went to Serendipity for 'Frozen Hot Chocolate'; Rockefeller Center, the Christmas tree, ice skating, etc. Have been at the Today Show a couple of times...but not sure we were on tv; Good luck and have fun, I'll try to look for you;-) In Rockefeller Ctr. outside of the today show studio, and on Martha Stuart;-)

Suz @ Slow Family Online said...

I'm so excited for you! I know you'll have a wonderful time. Now we have two shows to look for you on. (Does the Martha show air the same day it's taped?) I look forward to hearing all about the show and your first trip to New York.

Katie said...

Have fun and let us know when the show will air! I look forward to seeing your pictures of NYC after you get back.

Nutty Gnome said...

Oh you lucky thing, you'll have a fabulous time!!!
Me and my best friend had a 5 day girlie trip there 2 years ago and had a ball - but we came back needing a holiday to get over it as we packed so much in!

Don't be afraid to use the subway, it's really easy. You have to go see Grand Central Station too - it's awesome.But the bus tours are brilliant because of the people doing the commentaries.

There's a huge hotel in the centre of Times Square (who's name I can't remember right now - dher!) but you have to go ride the elevators ...just make sure you don't go up in the inner block of elevators!

We went to see Chicago and Mama Mia, both were superb shows! The Guggenheim was wonderful, the Empire State building was freezing, but it was -12 at ground level that day! Ellis Island is well worth a visit and is very moving - I found the name of my grandfather's brother on the memorial to all the immigrants. Made me go all goosebumpy!

We don't get the Martha Stewart show here ...so you'll have to put a clip up on here!

Have a wonderful time :)

Lisa at Greenbow said...

What fun what fun! I will look for you that friday on the Today show.

Kitty said...

You just have to use the subway at least once. Try to make it to one of the beautiful older stations built way back when. Like the historic City Hall Station.

Please keep us updated as to when the show will air. This Thursday the 14th? Our station changed Martha to 3 am in Sept and put on some inane gossip show in its place. Since we can record it, will need to wake up.

Have fun

Rose said...

I am so glad you are going to be able to go, Kylee! How exciting! Yes, take advantage of every minute you have while there--you can always rest up when you get home. Will this episode of Martha's show air on Thursday? I'll be sure to check it out that day as well as The Today Show on Friday. Have fun!!

Layanee said...

What a wonderful opportunity and exciting as well. Can't wait to hear about your exploits.

Lona said...

Have a blast and stay safe in that big old city.

Melanie J Watts said...

Ooooh what fun you are going to have. It is great you were able to get your hotel and flight for such a reasonable price. Enjoy !

Kylee Baumle said...

Ooooh! You guys are the BEST! Wonderful wishes and super suggestions for things we should see and do! We should have stayed one more day, I think!

The show is taped live at 10:00, but not sure what time it airs where everyone is. In our local market, it airs at 10:00, so everyone will be truly seeing it LIVE on Thursday!

We are both soooo excited about this trip. I plan to blog a little each day, depending on my energy level!

Victoria Williams said...

OH have fun, fun, fun!
I'll tape Martha on Thursday and watch for you. :-)

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

What fun, Kaylee! If you and your mom are looking for a nice break from the action stop for tea at the St. Regis Hotel -- it's walking distance from where you're staying. It's a wonderful place for high tea. I'll record the show. Can't wait to see it!

Jason said...

I'd love to see the map you created while "researching it to death". Have fun; I'm looking forward to reading about the trip!

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to hear about the trip when y'all get home Ms. Kylee! Have fun!

And if you could bring me back a "New York minute" I'd really appreciate it! ;~P

Kerri said...

Well, how nice to find you and your mom are a little closer to us tonight, Kylie! We're about 4 and a half hours upstate from The Big Apple.
There's certainly lots of interesting things to see and do in the city. I highly recommend the Brooklyn Botanic Gardens if you have time. I'm sure Chris will too as he lives close by and loves that place!
Our #1 daughter left here just yesterday morning to return to her apartment in the city. She's had a nice country break from the fast paced city life.
If I'm not working I'll look for you on The Today Show. Not sure we get Martha, but I'll check.
How exciting for you!
Hope you have a wonderful time and a safe trip.
Happy, healthy New Year to you!

Anonymous said...

That's quite a sight-seeing list. Best of luck today. I am happy for you!

Noel Morata said...

aloha kylee, how exciting, i'll be tuning into the show on thursday...good luck and have a great time, i can't wait to hear about your time on the show!

best

noel

garden girl said...

Sounds like a wonderful trip Kylee!

Beth said...

Your trip sounds awesome! I am keeping your ideas for places to visit, as I hope to visit NYC some day too.

I like your blog and would welcome the chance to ask you some questions about your format - I'm a new blogger.

Beth

http://beyondthegardengate-beth.blogspot.com
http://foodasart-beth.blogspot.com

Babara said...

Catching up some of your posts I struggled over the various ones about your trip to NY. How much I loved to see all the pictures, remembering my time I had there with two girlfriends. It's now already 20 years since I first was there for about a 10 days stay. It was September and we could sit outside in the Tavern on the Green where we had a wonderful lunch. Museums, sightseeing and "shop till you drop"....what a wonderful time we had (and finally more luggage to carry home :-) )!
Winter greetings,
Barbara

blogger templates | Make Money Online