Friday, December 18, 2009

Martha Stewart Has My Number!


Four days ago, I was hanging out in Twitter, when someone tweeted that The Martha Stewart Show was "calling all bloggers" to apply for tickets to attend the taping of a special show she was doing in January on blogging.  Having never been to New York City and being a blogger, I gave some brief thought to this and filled out the form for tickets.


No date was given for the show; it was only stated that it would be in January.  It was required that you give an explanation as to what your blogging passion was, in as much detail as possible.  Only  two tickets would be given for this show, instead of the usual four-ticket limit and you had to tell who was accompanying you to the show and why.

Of course, my mom was the person I wanted to go with me.  We've actually half-heartedly talked about going to New York someday, since neither of us had ever been there. Of all the people in the world, my mom is the one I most enjoy traveling with.  She's always up for any adventure and we have such similar interests that it's like we're one person when it comes to making decisions about what to do and where to do it.

This afternoon, after I returned from spending the day with my mom, I checked my e-mail and found this:



OMG.  How cool is that?? I called Mom immediately and after sharing the excitement of getting to visit The Martha Stewart Show, a little bit of reality set in.  Living the entire width of Ohio and Pennsylvania away from New York City meant we'd have to fly there. ($)  And then there's the matter of ground transportation. ($)  And hotel accommodations. ($) I'm pretty good at creative financing, but I'm not sure this is doable.

I've got until December 23rd to confirm our attendance, so between now and then, I've got to figure this out.  I've just GOT to. How often does an opportunity such as this come along?  Sure, I might be able to secure tickets to the taping of a show, but this one is special.  All in attendance will be bloggers. Blogging. On the show. Just too much FUN!

There are strict dress guidelines to be followed. Solid colors recommended and no black, gray, tan or any muted colors, T-shirts, prints, logos, hats, or sleeveless tops.  We are to bring our laptop, iPhone or Blackberry and must let them know which of these we'll be bringing.  We are to be prepared to be photographed and since Martha likes audience participation, there is the possibility that any of us could be chosen to be an active part of the show.  There are questions to answer about our blogging that must accompany our confirmation.


Whew. This is all somewhat overwhelming, because by next Wednesday, we need to figure out if we can make this happen on our end.  It's not only a monetary issue, but I'm scheduled to work the day of the show and the day before.  I've got great employers, but I work at a research facility and when a study is to be done and you have a specific role to play in that study, you have to be there.


So...a lot has to happen between now and then for this to become a reality.  I've always said that I never want to let an opportunity go by if I can help it at all. If it's meant to be, it will be.  If it's not, well, it was nice to dream about how fun it would have been.


UPDATE: Just one more hurdle to jump before this happens! I'll find out on Monday if the work situation will be resolved. If so, NYC here we come!

18 comments:

Seasonal Wisdom said...

Kylee: How cool is that? I'm so excited for you, and wonder how you'll decide. All best, Teresa

MommaD said...

I am blogger in upstate NY and will be there as well! Hope to see you there!!!!

Jason said...

How cool is this?!? Are you accepting donations? Gas money? Good luck!

Unknown said...

awww, I hope you go! How often do you do something just for you and your Mum? Cherish the time and go for it...there have to be seat sales, decent places to stay, etc. It will work out. I'm rooting for you!

Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

I hope you are able to go, it sounds like a lot of fun!

"Daffodil Planter" Charlotte Germane said...

Hope that your family hasn't finished Christmas shopping--it's pretty clear what you need for Christmas. Hope the NY area garden bloggers can help you with a place to stay.

You should get priority seating at the show since you write TWO blogs ;-)

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Kylee, even though I am not a MS fan .. you have me smiling at your excitement .. and I truly hope you get there girl : ) GOOD luck !!!!

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Oh Kylee, you have just got to go. What an opportunity. What fun!! I hope you get it all worked out.

Rose said...

This is so exciting, Kylee! I do hope you will be able to go...hmmm, maybe some sponsors would be interesting in helping? This is definitely a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity!

I've never been to NYC either, and I want to go sometime. But first I'd love to see Oprah's show in person before her show ends, but I imagine all tickets are already sold out.

Melanie J Watts said...

Kylee What an awesome opportunity. I really hope you are able to take advantage of it.

Victoria Williams said...

What fun! I would love to attend a Martha show. She's great. You're going to have fun.

Anonymous said...

That's pretty nifty. I don't follow her show, but if a fellow Blotanist will be on, I'll watch! Have you decided which mobile device you'd be bringing? (I haven't had much luck posting with the free Blogger app on the iPhone; I always use my laptop.) I hope work allows you to attend.

Anonymous said...

omg, how exciting is that?? I hope by now, you know you're going! It's definitely a chance of a lifetime and to be there with other bloggers would make it even more fun. I love Martha ~ she and Oprah have always been favorites of mine so hands down I would drop everything and go! Keep us posted and Merry Christmas Kylee.

Bren Haas said...

THis is what I get for being out TAKING PHOTOS TO SHARE on my blog... I miss all the great opportunities! Be sure to give Martha a HUG... I will be out in the Midwest Gardens taking photos to share!
ENJOY YOUR TIME.. you so deserve!

Sabrina said...

Kylee, I do hope you go! As you know from my blog, I lived in NY for four years (on Long Island), and our trips into the city were such a treat! If you can, stay a few extra days to check out the museums and Broadway shows. And you'll love Central Park!

Lavender said...

I found your Blog through Jodi...glad I did! Hey girl... I agree with all the others. We will be watching for you in the audience. Carpe Diem!!

Janet, The Queen of Seaford said...

How fun Kylee! You will have to keep us posted on when it will be broadcast!! Boy does Martha have the rules....!!!
Merry Christmas to you!

Connie said...

Kylee, I do hope you are able to make the show, what fun!

blogger templates | Make Money Online