Thursday, December 17, 2009

A Double Bogey Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day


Each month, gardeners the world over celebrate the blooms in their gardens on the 15th. Two days late, I'm posting my meager offerings for December. Regardless of what was still in bloom two weeks ago, and even just one week ago, we're now down to three plants with blooms. That's what temps in the single digits and wind chills below zero (F) will do for ya. I really was surprised to find these today: 


The Cyclamen coum may take the prize as the most persistent bloomer, but on second thought, maybe that's why it's called 'Something Magic.' Wonder what it will look like come January?



 Out in Max's Garden, the annual Xeranthemum annuum is technically still in bloom, but in actuality is probably just frozen in time.  Its more common name is Everlasting, though.




The one that made me smile however, was this lone Viola.  It isn't even planted in the ground.  For three years, it has resided in a hypertufa pot my mom made and for three years it has delighted us with its delicate blooms, even deep in December.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

See what other gardeners have blooming now on May Dreams Gardens blog. Thanks to Carol for playing host!

7 comments:

Bren Haas said...

Very nice blooms you shared today. Any day is a good day to share a bloom so I don't think you were late on with a posting! ;-)

Happy Christmas!

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Kylee girl .. you found some wonderful blooms ! I have to say my favorite is the viola .. I have a weak spot for them and I almost caught the scent of one as I scrolled down to your picture , thank you !
Joy

Gail said...

Kylee, Single digits gives the garden a pass for flowers...and, yet you have a few sweetie pies! Thank goodness there are pretty violas like yours. Have a good weekend and keep warm. gail

Unknown said...

I'm delighted that you have some outdoor blooms--frozen or otherwise--happening in your garden, Kylee! Nothing here except frostflowers and snow flakes and it's frigid again!

Rose said...

At this time of year, it's great to find anything in bloom right now! I think that sweet viola has to win the award for the bravest, hardiest flower.


Enjoyed a quick tour of the Meijer Gardens in your earlier post. You and Monica have convinced me I need to visit this wonderful garden again.

Lona said...

I am surprised you were able to find three Kylee ;-) My Cyclamen are flat to the ground and blooms gone.
Happy Holidays to you and yours!

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I need something magic in my garden. Amazing that it is still upright let alone a bloom hanging on. Happy GBBD.

blogger templates | Make Money Online