Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Humble Thanks


Today, the winners of the Mouse and Trowel Awards for excellence in garden blogging were announced, after a nomination period, followed by voting.  I'm humbled that Our Little Acre was the recipient of several awards.  I just don't know what I could say to express my thanks and appreciation to so many that felt I deserved these honors.

The field of nominees represented a mere fraction of the wonderful and varied garden blogs out there.  I've seen the number of them absolutely explode in the three and a half years since I began writing about my garden adventures.  This is such a great thing! 

While there are certainly more talented writers and photographers than I, what is most important is that we all are writing about and photographing what we love - our gardens.  This sharing of information among those that have a passion for growing things helps novice and veteran gardeners alike. It helps us become better gardeners, and precious friendships are forged in the process.

I have been a dental hygienist for the life of my entire "career" - since 1977 - and only began gardening in 2005. If you would have told me five years ago that I would be nuts over flowers and the like, to the extent that I am, and that I'd get as much enjoyment in writing and photographing them as I do, I would not have believed a bit of it.

But life has a way of taking twists and turns, especially later in life, when you look at the  opportunities placed before you.  I'm fortunate that I have the freedom to focus on things that I truly love doing while still having one foot firmly planted in the career that I chose so long ago.  Fortunate, and blessed.

Again, thank you and congratulations to all the nominees and winners, and to the rest,  who are just as awesome.  We're all in this together.



20 comments:

Robin's Nesting Place said...

Congratulations on the awards, Kylee! I love your blog!

Unknown said...

Congrats, Kylee! :)

Gail said...

Congratulations and your love for gardening will only grow. Love every step of the journey.

Katie said...

You deserve everything good that happens to you in your life. Congrats on the Mouse & Trowel awards!

Sweet Home and Garden Carolina said...

Great news, Kylee! I've enjoyed visiting your little acre since you started.

Jenna said...

CONGRATS MOM!!!!!! THAT IS AWESOME!!!! YOU DESERVE IT!!!!

Shady Gardener said...

Congratulations Kylee. You are a gardener worthy of such compliments! :-) Have a great day.

ChickDigtheDirt said...

Yay! Congratulations- you deserve every award out there :)

Commonweeder said...

What a sweep! congratulations. As you say, you never know the turns life will take - or the accomplishments one will achieve.

Anonymous said...

Congrats, Kylee -- I'm not surprised at all. :)

Louise Hartwig said...

You make a Mother so proud!

Kara said...

Yay MoM, YAY! I am SO, so proud of you! All of your late nights and hard work have paid off. I love you!

Lynn said...

Kylee, what you express here is a pretty good example of your well-deserved awards. You just can't fake love! Congratulations and keep on gardening!

Ewa said...

Kylee, congratulations! well deserved!
Your flower love seems to grow in similar speed, as does love for bloggig.

Ewa in the Garden said...

Kylee, congratulations on your success! Well deserved! It seems your love for flowers grows in similar speed, as grows your passion for blogging.

Garden Lily said...

Congratulations! I have been blessed by your blog also.

Kylee Baumle said...

Robin ~ Thank you! And the feeling is mutual. Your photography is stunning!

Kim ~ Thanks! :-)

Gail ~ Thank you. You're right - gardening just gets better the longer you do it!

Katie ~ Ah, Katie, you're so sweet. And I'm ecstatic that you're here to say such a nice thing to me. Thank you, and big hugs!

Carolyn Gail ~ Thank you! You've always been so supportive. *hugs*

Jenna ~ Oh my goodness, is that really YOU? Ha! Thank you, Jenna. Love you!

Shady Gardener ~ Thank you for saying that! :-)

ChickDigtheDirt ~ Thank you! What a nice thing for you to say!

Commonweeder ~ Thanks, Pat!

Nancy ~ Thanks, Nancy! You're very sweet!

Mom ~ Thanks, you've been my biggest fan. Love you!

Kara ~ Aww, thanks, Kara! You're the one who encouraged me to start writing - really writing. Love you!

Lynn ~ That means a lot to me, that my love for what I do shines through. Thank you.

Ewa ~ Thank you! That's exactly what's happened!

Garden Lily ~ That is such a sweet thing to say. Thank you!

Nellie said...

Very much well-deserved!

Pam/Digging said...

Congrats on all your awards, Kylee! You always put a lot of heart and soul into your blogging.

Kylee Baumle said...

Nellie ~ Thank you!

Pam ~ Thanks, Pam. I try to, as do you. Congratulations on your own award!

blogger templates | Make Money Online