Sunday, November 28, 2010

My Passion (and Flower) Featured in Horticulture Magazine


December-January 2011 issue
Subscribe here!
I've mentioned before that the first gardening magazine I ever read or subscribed to was Horticulture magazine. My mom had recommended it and I've been a subscriber for several years now. There's always something that inspires me and I never fail to learn something from each issue.

As I began to write this blog and then doing freelance garden writing, one of the dreams in the back of my mind was to somehow get published in a garden magazine, namely Horticulture. This month, my dream came true. Along with contributions from fellow garden writer friends Barbara Pintozzi, Carol Michel, and Jean McWeeney, the story of my passion flower (Passiflora caerulea 'Clear Sky') appears on page 68, in a story entitled Divas in Green.


The subtitle tells the common point to each of our stories - "We all have a plant for which we'll jump through hoops." Oh yes, my passion flower has been the recipient of extra-special care since I first brought it home from the Cleveland Flower Show in 2005.  It was the first plant I bought when I began gardening.


This Passiflora isn't hardy to my zone 5b, so Romie and I haul it in and out as the seasons change from warm to cold and back again. It blooms sporadically year round and sometimes it blooms best in the dead of winter, in the west window where it resides when inside.

Little did I know when I bought that gorgeous flowering plant over five years ago that it would still be around and making some of my gardening dreams come true. Its special care has been worth it in more ways than one.


Other gardening friends are also featured in this month's issue: Rebecca SweetJenny Peterson, and Carolyn Gail Choi, all of whom I've met personally and enjoy communicating with online.

23 comments:

Barbee' said...

Congratulations, Kylee. Horticulture has been my favorite for many years. Fine Gardening is another terrific one. Interesting how things sometimes work out in life. For you: one "passion" led to another. May it continue to do so. Best wishes.

Jenny Peterson said...

Kylee, I love passion flower! I grew up with it in my mother's San Antonio TX garden. I had so much fun reading Horticulture this month with all of us in it--congrats!

Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

Congratulations! I think I saw your name in Garden Gate not too long ago? The Passion flower is beautiful, I can see why you would jump through hoops for it.

Kylee Baumle said...

Barbee ~ Thank you! I never thought I'd enjoy gardening or writing as much as I do. Life is good!

Jenny ~ And to you, too! I love our weekly writing "contest," too. LOL *hugs*

Catherine ~ Thank you! I'm not aware of being in Garden Gate, but I did have a seed saving tip published in Fine Gardening earlier this year.
The bloom on the passion flower is really amazing and I get excited every time it blooms!

barbara wise said...

Congrats on seeing a dream come true! Keep pursuing those dreams, including the one to come visit me in Nashville :)

Kylee Baumle said...

Barbara ~ Oh, you can be sure of two things: I've got more dreams in my head and I WILL be visiting you in Nashville. :-)

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Congrats Kylee. I will have to make a point to read this one. I go to the library to read this every month. I don't want to miss your debut there. What fun to see everyone else in this publication too.

Anonymous said...

How fun, Kylee! Congrats to you and all the others, many of whom I know personally as well on being published! It's a good thing. :-)
Frances

Mr. McGregor's Daughter said...

Thanks for the shout out. Your Passiflora is worth all the effort. I fell under Passiflora's spell in Buffalo, when I saw one growing on a white post. It's such an exotic gem.

Sweet Home and Garden Carolina said...

Congrats, Kylee. I enjoyed reading your article and I love your selection.

rebecca sweet said...

Kylee - I'm sitting here with such a big smile on my face, knowing how important this article was for you. I'm really, really happy for you and was thrilled to read your beautifully written article in Horticulture! Here's giving you a big virtual hug and 'congratulations'!

frazzledsugarplummum said...

Congratulations on having achieved another 'passion'. I too love my passion flower and never tire of looking at the incredible flower structure and colour. I baby mine too.

Diane said...

Wonderful!! I don't think I have a plant I would jump through hoops for, but I'm sure it will come along some day. Maybe I should try a passion flower!

garden girl said...

Congratulations Kylee!

Pam/Digging said...

Congratulations, Kylee!

Commonweeder said...

Congratulations Kylee. My copy of Horticulture had been languishing in a pile because no time for browsing before Thanksgiving. With your prompt I have just had a delicious time reading about favorite plants of some of my favorite bloggers who I met in Buffalo. This is a great issue! Come visit me and see my Giveaways in December. Books!

Claudia said...

Kudos, Kylee. Great work. Claudia
http://gardeningnaturallywithclaudia.blogspot.com

Mary S. said...

Congratulation! I just finished that issue of Horticulture. It's a good one!

Sharon Lovejoy said...

Congratulations!

Hug your mom for me.

All garden joys,

Sharon Lovejoy Writes from Sunflower House and a Little Green Island

Helen said...

Well done, Kylee. You're a hard-working girl with a lot of passion and you deserve every success.

joey said...

Kudos, Kylee. You've come a long way from whittling teeth out of wax :)

Kylee Baumle said...

Lisa ~ Thanks, Lisa! I knew about the article, of course, but didn't know when it would be in print. Barbara Pintozzi let me know, because she got her copy in the mail before I did two days later. I was really anxious for it to arrive!

Frances ~ Thanks, Frances! Yes, fun! And more fun when you know a writer personally!

Barbara ~ Thanks for letting me know to watch for the article! Yes, Passifloras are definitely worth making an extra effort for.

Carolyn Gail ~ Congrats to you, too! Love your 'Autumn Moon' Japanese maple! Mine wants to be just like it when it grows up! :-)

Rebecca ~ Awww, Rebecca, thank you! You are indeed sweet!! *hugs back*

frazzledsugarplummum ~ Thanks! Another passion flower lover! :-)

Diane ~ You'd love it! It truly doesn't look real.

garden girl ~ Thanks, Linda! :-)

Pam ~ Thanks, Pam! You're probably used to it by now, but I'm betting you still get a little thrill when you see your work in print! :-)

Commonweeder ~ Thanks, Pat! I'm so glad to have met you and to have spent a little time with you this past summer! Ooh... you're giving away books? :-)

Kylee Baumle said...

Claudia ~ Thank you!

Mary S. ~ Thanks! Yes, it's a good one! (But then, I enjoy them all!)

Sharon ~ Thanks, Sharon! And yes, of course I'll hug my mom for you. :-)

Helen ~ Oh, thank you so much for saying such nice things about me, Helen. As you know, I love what I'm doing in my life right now. And what I'm doing has led me to meet and become friends with so many wonderful people - like YOU!

Joey ~ OMG, you are too funny! I hadn't thought about that for ages! Yes, a long way...

blogger templates | Make Money Online