Monday, December 27, 2010

Amaryllis is a 'Dancing Queen'


Much of my winter salvation comes in the form of tennis ball- to softball-sized bulbs, as ugly in this form as the flowers they bring forth are beautiful. I look forward to the frilly and colorful blooms of my amaryllises (Hippeastrum) every winter and I don't think I can ever have enough of them.

'Misty'
The first of the season - 'Misty' - has come and gone, but another has taken its place, with yet another ('Jewel') at the ready. I wrote about the gigantic bulb that was supposed to be 'Elvas' in a posting on the Our Little Acre Facebook page. Now that it's in bloom, I can see that it isn't 'Elvas', but likely 'Dancing Queen', which I've had before. I actually still have it, though the label has become separated from the bulb, so it will be a surprise when it makes another appearance later this winter.

This gigantic bulb will be giving not one stalk of fluffy flowery frill, but two, as mature bulbs of this size often do. Though it's not what I expected, it's still beautiful - I've never seen an amaryllis I didn't like.

'Dancing Queen'

6 comments:

Kathleen said...

That's so strange ~ I bought 'Aphrodite' last year and got 'Dancing Queen' instead. It was really pretty (as yours is) but I'm always a little bummed when they don't turn out to be what I thought I bought. I guess that's what you get with bulbs (and not having them in bloom when you buy them).
Happy New Year!

Commonweeder said...

I haven't grown an amaryllis for several years, but I bought two this fall, Appleblossom and Athene. Pink and white. I was late with my purchase and they are both just now sending up green shoots on my south bedroom windowsill.

Commonweeder said...

I haven't bought amaryllis for several years, but late this fall I bought Appleblossom and Athene, pink and white. Because I was so late with my purchase they are just now starting to send out green shoots.

Janet, The Queen of Seaford said...

Very pretty -- I love the ruffley petals, just lovely.

Rose said...

Now you have me humming Abba:) This is a lovely amaryllis, Kylee, but I agree I've never seen one I didn't like. Hope you had a very Merry Christmas and best wishes for a Happy New Year!

Unknown said...

As you know, I'm totally besotted with Amaryllis too (probably will go get that Picotee tomorrow) but I really love 'Misty' of the ones you show here, Kylee! I'm having an annoyance because the so-called 'Green Dragon' amaryllis I got are red...and the 'Cupido' is amazingly weak-of-stem. Both came from the same company and I'm very disappointed, so I will write to the owner and let him know.

Here's hoping for a very Happy New Year, and well-behaved weather if at all possible...

blogger templates | Make Money Online