Monday, December 20, 2010

First Seeds


Our new neighbor happens to work for a local seed company. A little over a week ago, he came over to ask me if I'd plant some soybeans for them to use in a display for an upcoming farm show, and grow them in my conservatory. He brought over the seeds, pots, and potting soil and I planted them last weekend.

So, officially, the first seeds I've planted in the conservatory are soybeans! I wasn't really sure if I'd start seeds in there or not; I thought I'd wait until spring to decide. But when I walked out there on Saturday and saw this...



...I think I might not even wait until spring. I want me some fresh spinach!


Can anyone except a gardener know how it feels to see a seed pop through the soil like that? It's a thing of beauty...a tiny miracle, yet as large as life itself. It's exciting to see, yet serenely satisfying.  A "God's in His heaven and all's right with the world" kind of thing. And even though all isn't right with the world, this itty bitty part of it is just fine.

12 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

How exciting to see seeds opening up. It appears that your conservatory is a big success.

Gail said...

Nothing quite as beautiful as the a new plant breaking ground.

Commonweeder said...

Now that is impressive! You are giving me a severe case of zone envy. It will be quite a while before I can start any seeds indoors. And how nice to be able to help a neighbor this way.

Unknown said...

Kylee, love the blog and pictures! Soybeans are beautiful and my passion. (sounds like a farmer) Thanks you so much for helping us out. I put a link on my Pond Seed Company Fan page to share with my followers.
Fred

Anonymous said...

Farmers and folks from seed companies share that excitement with gardeners! In fact Fred tweeted with such excitement about your photos that I had to come over & see for myself! Fantastic, especially after last night's gardenchat!

Kat said...

How fun. Yep seeds popping up are pretty exciting. Didn't think I'd be seeing this until at least February. Nice to see some seedlings early.
(and I bet that soil smells amazing too!)

Kylee Baumle said...

Lisa ~ It's already such a joy to be in it, Lisa. I hope you'll stop by again sometime you're close!

Gail ~ I know! I love seeing that!

Pat ~ Well, it doesn't really have anything to do with zone! Maybe you could do some herbs!

Fred ~ That's good that they're your passion, Fred, since you do what you do! There is nothing like following your heart and doing that for a living. I'm happy to help you guys! It's been fun! I hope they grow well. We're going to increase the time for the lights we have on after dark. Right now they're on for about three hours after dark. They're just fluorescents, nothing special. Thanks for reposting the link!

jplovescotton ~ Glad you came! ;-) It will be fun to watch these grow in the coming days!

Kylee Baumle said...

Kat ~ Well, it's potting soil, so it doesn't smell quite like "dirt," which I've always loved the smell of, ever since I was a little girl. It does smell pretty good out there, though, because I've got more brugmansias blooming now!

Farmer Fred said...

I have met only one gardener who claims to be an atheist. And she gave up gardening! Yes, the miracle of life happens every winter in the greenhouse.

Megan Fae said...

I'm not a gardener, but I love being able to experience it vicariously through your blog!

Alexandra said...

Soybeans are a perfect maiden seed for the greenhouse! Fast and satisfying to grow. Congratulations!

Corner Gardener Sue said...

Oh, yes, I love seeing those little promises sprouting up! I want to plant spinach and lettuce the last part of February like I usually do. Last year, there was too much snow.

blogger templates | Make Money Online