Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Walking in a Christmas Wonderland


I've come to the realization that it's the Christmas season for real now. How do I know this? It's hard to avoid the constant Christmas music on the radio and in the stores. The Salvation Army volunteers are ringing their bells. It's cold outside and there's snow on the ground. A nearby city had a Christmas Walk on Saturday. Yes, Christmas is coming, the goose is getting fat...and all that. We even have a Christmas tree in our family room with lights and ornaments and everything.

Mom asked me to go on the Christmas Walk with her, so Saturday morning I bundled up and made the short trip to her house. From there, we picked up our friend Sue, and before we started the official walk, we went to a local business's open house.

Wiseman Designs and Window Specialties
Wiseman Designs and Window Specialties is located in what has long been my favorite house in all of Van Wert. Oh, there are many other beautiful homes in the area, but I've been in love with this one for as long as I can remember. It has something that speaks to me in a way that none of the others do. Until Saturday, I'd never set foot in it, but I knew it was something special.

Inside, I met the owner, Penny Wiseman, who told me the home has been owned or inhabited by artists from the time it was built. This didn't surprise me; the house "looks" like an artist's house. Penny herself is a gifted artist who had several of her works for sale this day. She offered to give me a tour of the house on a different day when it wasn't filled with decorator items for sale and people shopping for them. I look forward to that!

I purchased a silk amaryllis in a green pot. Readers know that I'm a "hippie" at heart (Hippeastrum is the botanical name for amaryllis), and that I've got a large collection of bulbs that I plant out in the summer and bring in for all their beauty in the winter. The artificial one I bought is a deep red, looking very realistically like 'Black Pearl'.

We continued on our way, visiting a total of nine homes and businesses, all decorated in their Christmas finery. It took us until 3:00 p.m. to see all of them. Here are more images from the day:


Kitson

Kitson

Kitson

Kitson


Newly renovated greenhouse at the
Marsh Foundation School

I love seeing clay pots en masse. These are in the
greenhouse at the Marsh Foundation.

Another view inside the greenhouse. Cute little poinsettias!

The students at the Marsh Foundation decorated the
gingerbread men for the visitors and gave us a tour of the
living quarters.

Snowy view from the stairway at the Marsh Foundation,
Clymer Hall

Niswonger Performing Arts Center, site of recent Amy
Grant concert, and soon, Kenny G.

NPAC

NPAC

Keysor

Schroeder

Schroeder


I think Santa lives here!
Schroeder

Dougal

Dougal

Dougal


Sisters Bridal Boutique

Sisters Bridal Boutique

Sisters Bridal Boutique

11 comments:

Jan Bills said...

Gorgeous pics, Kyle! Love you!

Darla said...

I wish they did something like this in Tallahassee. I love the Make Believe photo, the little white Christmas trees on the table, the bathtroom looks pretty although I would be a little concerned with the lights around running water. The white tree with he green and red decorations is so cute. I've never met a Greenhouse I did covet, sad, but true. And I want Mr. and Mrs. Snowman, is that face just adorable or what?!

Unknown said...

Thanks for stopping by Wiseman Design & Window Specialties Kylee! I was so excited to meet you in person...your photographs are fabulous!

"Daffodil Planter" Charlotte Germane said...

What FUN! Thanks for taking me on the tour!

Corner Gardener Sue said...

Your camera captured lots of great Christmas decor, but my favorite is the photo of the clay pots. ;o)

greenlegs80 said...

How fun! I wish I would have gotten an invite... ;) I LOVE Christmas walks! Thanks for sharing and what amazing and creative ideas!

Terra said...

I found your blog today when you were mentioned on Facebook, and am now your newest follower. I love to garden too, and write for magazines about gardening.

Lona said...

What a beautiful tour Kylee.Could you hear me ewwing and awwin. LOL! I think the ironing of Santa's clothes is the cutest touch. Love the snowman and lady.

Kari Lønning said...

You have a beautiful eye for taking photos. That mixed with the ability, is a great thing. I love seeing what you post. (favorite -> "Make Believe")

Eliza said...

I can see why you're in love with that house, and also why artists keep buying it! Those are some beautiful windows, too (very fitting!)

Kat said...

Lovely photos. Thanks for taking us on a tour. I love Santa's laundry room.

blogger templates | Make Money Online