Sunday, March 13, 2011

Spring Therapy


After what has seemed like the longest winter ever, we find ourselves at mid-March - a time when Mother Nature is trying to make up her mind. Winter still? Spring already? If I could make that decision for her, winter would be put in the closet for the next nine months and I'd lock the door.

So when the thermometer says 38°F and I saw snow flurries just 72 hours ago, it's time for some spring therapy. Now just where am I going to find that? Right outside my back door and the front one, too.

Galanthus nivalis 'Flore Pleno'

I stepped outside this afternoon to go on walkabout through the yard to see what I could see. I knew the snowdrops would greet me with their cheery white and green double blooms. I can always count on them to be the first to show up at the spring party every year.


But front and center, the Crocus fuscotinctus were not far behind. Yesterday, they were buds:



Today, they opened full up in the hazy sunshine and they did precisely what I wanted them to do when I first planted them a couple of years ago. They made me smile. And they confirmed that spring is here with blooms from many more ephemerals to follow in quick succession.



Just as we can't stop winter from coming, neither can we stop spring. Only with spring, we don't want to.


Hello, spring! We're so glad to see you!



7 comments:

Unknown said...

I looove that red twig dogwood (?) in the first photo! And love how it looks next to the yucca. Awesome combo! Great post!!

Nicky said...

Hi Kylee!

I love the lime green center of the snowdrops! They're so cheery and spring-y.

I'm with you, winter can go bye bye for now.

Thanks,

Nicky

G-Pride Farm said...

Thank you for the tour of your spring flowers, they also put a smile on my face. Just beautiful. Happy Spring.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Isn't it fun to finally have something blooming in the garden again! Happy GBBD.

Vicky said...

Just reading about your spring in Virgina makes me want to go outdoors here in Indiana and see if I have anything popping up yet. Of course, I'm going to have to put my gloves, scarf, hat, boots and winter coat on first! LOL
Vicky
http://www.in-your-garden.com

Kate @ Gardening and Gardens said...

Wonderful spring therapy! The colors on the crocus are gorgeous and I love the slight ruffle to the snowdrops too.

Samantha said...

Nothing blooming yet in my yard (northern WV)...and snow toward the end of the 15 day forecast. I'll be living vicariously through those with warmer weather!

blogger templates | Make Money Online