Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Recycled Plastic Provides a New Home For Birds


Last year's bluebird at Our Little Acre
I've seen a bluebird already this spring. Many years we never see a single one the entire year. I was at our neighbor's house last Thursday, and we were standing in her driveway talking about chickens when her face lit up as she pointed. "Look! A bluebird!" Sure enough, there it was, on the side of our road, then it flew up into the tree. Its vibrant blue and rufous colors were a welcome site.

As I walked back home, I hoped the bluebird would follow me and make a nest in one of our three bluebird houses, like a couple of them did last year. But wait...we have four houses this year!



When I attended The Philadelphia Flower Show last month, this little red bird house caught my eye as I walked up to the display by Plastics Make It Possible. There were other fabulous outdoor items in their display, including those darlings of the gardening world, Woolly Pockets.



But red is my favorite color and red gets my attention. The bird house was such a little thing, but it doesn't take much red to make an impact. I was thrilled when the plastics people told me I could have the bird house when the show was over.

A couple of weeks ago, Romie put the bird house up in a maple tree, where I can see it from our family room. It wasn't up more than an hour when I saw a bird checking it out already. I wonder if the red color catches the eye of certain birds, too. We know hummingbirds are attracted to red, but I don't expect they will make a nest in this.  It's not their style.

Loll Designs is the maker of this red bird house that I love so much. It's made of recycled plastic milk jugs, as are many of the products made by Loll. The bird house can be recycled post-use, but they're made to last, so I expect to have it for many, many years.



*My trip to The Philadelphia Flower Show and the Loll Designs bird house were provided to me by Plastics Make It Possible.

4 comments:

Nutty Gnome said...

That's a really sweet little bird house Kylee :)

I recycle plastic bottles to make squirrel-proof bird feeders, but you've set me thinking about how to make my own bird box now!

Diana said...

What an adorable birdhouse. I love the color, too -- very perky. I'm going to have to check those out. Happy Earth Day!

Anonymous said...

It sure is sweet! What a welcome sign, to see a bluebird so early after this long and difficult winter. I hope that's a sign of many good things to come for you and your garden this season - and I hope you get more bluebirds in your yard! I'm hoping we'll see one here as well.

loll designs said...

Thanks for posting this! We are happy you love it!!

blogger templates | Make Money Online