Saturday, November 12, 2011

How To Plant Crocus in the Lawn


Several years ago, Mom and I visited Franklin Park Conservatory in Columbus, Ohio, in the spring. I fell in love with the lawn flowers as they peppered the grassy area around the conservatory, and told myself I was going to do that in my own lawn someday.

Franklin Park - Columbus, Ohio

A couple of years later, I did plant some crocus, but it wasn't nearly enough to have much of an effect. Several of the corms didn't even come up, but each spring, we do enjoy those that do.


This fall, I bought 250 large crocus and added them to the ones I already had. When I was lifting the sod to plant them, I found the other corms. I'm not exactly sure why they were smaller than when I'd first planted them, but they were.


A couple of weeks ago, I made a video, showing how I planted the crocus in the lawn. There's still time for most of us to plant bulbs, so take advantage of the great sales going on and get them in before the ground freezes!


How To Plant Crocus in the Lawn


Click here to view video on YouTube


You'll be able to tell which is the top of the crocus corm because it will likely have little white points. The bottom will be flatter and you may see some tiny roots attached.


Here are the corms in place, ready for me to lay the sod back over them.  OhNo was my garden helper that day.


I laid the sod back over the corms and watered it in well. Now all we need is for spring to show up!




3 comments:

Darla said...

I think of doing this every year too and haven't yet. Maybe I'll run over to the nursery today and have a look around.

*Ulrike* said...

I bought about 60 of them this year, and about that many last year too. I do love them, and our honeybees love them too. When they start blooming I'll keep our chickens locked up as they have been wrecking havoc on my pansies!

The Frizzy Hooker said...

This is so much fun. I have crocuses and Chionodoxa in my front lawn.
I have to be sure to complete the final lawn cutting in the Fall or I can't see the chiondoxa in the Winter. They are so tiny.

blogger templates | Make Money Online