Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Crock-Pot® Chicken Teriyaki


I can cook.  I'm fairly good at it.  But I usually just don't want to, because it's not high on my list of things that I think are fun to do. I'd much rather weed a garden.  However, when photos of delicious food start showing up in my Facebook stream, sometimes I get motivated to get barefoot and get in the kitchen.

It happened Monday.  My friend (and cousin) Algene posted a photo and recipe for Crock-Pot® Chicken Teriyaki that caught my eye.  I started salivating.  Anything teriyaki has that effect on me.  So I looked down through the list of ingredients and noted that I had all of them, including garlic from last summer's garden.

Then I looked at the directions.  It's a Crock-Pot® recipe, so how hard can it be?  It's not.  The most difficult thing was cutting up the chicken into bite-size pieces and that was a piece of cake.  (More about cake later...)

That settled it. We were having this for supper. I'm sharing it here, just in case it looks good to you, too.  It originally came from the Facebook page of Heavenly Recipes and if I spend too  much time on that page, I may just be forced to cook more often.  This particular recipe appealed to quite a number of people, because as of this evening, it's been shared 144,667 times.

Here we go:

Crock-Pot® Chicken Teriyaki

1 lbs chicken, cubed
1 cup chicken broth
½ cup teriyaki sauce
⅓ cup brown sugar
3 garlic cloves, minced


1. Combine chicken broth, teriyaki sauce, brown sugar and garlic cloves in large bowl.



2. Add chicken to sauce, and mix.



3. Pour chicken mixture into
Crock-Pot®.

4. Cook on low 4-6 hours, or until chicken is cooked through.



5. Serve over hot cooked rice and spoon on extra sauce if desired.

 

It should be noted, if you saw the recipe on my or on any other Facebook page, that the photo posted was NOT a photo of this recipe.  The photo showed sesame seeds in the sauce and a thicker sauce. Most of us that tried the recipe agreed that the sauce was more watery than we'd have liked.  The remedy for that is to cut back the broth drastically or as one my friends suggested, cut it out entirely. I would do that next time.

But it was delicious, and I will make it again.  Now, about that cake...

My cousin also posted a photo of white cake with caramel frosting, which reminded me of a recipe my mom had when I was a kid.  My dad loved it and I loved it, and I dug it out and made it.  So we topped off our teriyaki meal with caramel cake.  Yummmmm...



6 comments:

Preppy Pink Crocodile said...

Looks yummy. Instead of cutting back on the sauce, you might consider adding in some cornstarch at the very end and just whisk it in. It would thicken it up and still allow all the flavor in the chicken and then on top of the rice.

KK

Kylee Baumle said...

KK ~ Yes, that would work too! Plus, you'd have more sauce. Win, win!

Unknown said...

Looks fabulous! But where's the cake recipe?

Serenity Cove said...

That looks very good! I love recipes I can make in my crock-pot. I think I might add some stir fry veggies in with it. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

i wasnt happy with how watery it was either. no chicken broth next time. i did buy the kikoman teriyaki sauce in a jar, with the sesame seeds in it allready .flavor was awesome, but sauce too watery.

Anonymous said...

As mentioned before, cornstarch should solve your thickness problem but rather than wait for the end, toss your chopped chicken with a few tablespoons of cornstarch before putting it in the crockpot. I do that with flank steak when I make crockpot Mongolian Beef (excellent btw). It thickens the sauce as it cooks and gives the meat a better texture. Trying your recipe that way tonight. Can't wait.

blogger templates | Make Money Online